|Llanvair Kilgidin||Contents &
|Where is it
"LLANVAIR-KILGIDIN, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.E. of Abergavenny, its post town. It is an occasional station on the Monmouth branch of the Taff Vale Extension railway. The village is situated on the river Usk, which is here crossed by a chain suspension bridge, only passable for foot passengers.
Opposite the village is the wooded eminence of Coed-y-Bunedd, crowned by an extensiveencampment 1,440 feet in circumference. The view from the summit of the hill takes in the whole range of the Blosenge, the sharp cone of the Sugar Loaf, and the Skyrrid range. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £395. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities produce nearly £10 a year."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 17 Feb 2009)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date