Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanwytherin / Llanvetherine
"LLANVETHERINE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 4 miles N.E. of Abergavenny, its post town. It is watered by the river Trothy. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £260. The church is dedicated to St. James."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Cwmmerra Baptist Chapel, Llanwytherin,, Cwmmerra Baptist Chapel, Llanwytherin,, Llanwytherin, Other
- Ebenezer, Ebenezer, Llanvetherine, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Llanwytherin / Llanvetherine area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanvetherine Parish; Statistics; Area 2153 acres; Population 134 males, 97 females, total 231
- Llanvetherine Parish Church Attendance - morning 63 + 22 scholars, afternoon 23 2 services in English F C Steel MA, Rector
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Llanwytherin / Llanvetherine which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO364171 (Lat/Lon: 51.848816, -2.924745), Llanwytherin / Llanvetherine which are provided by: