Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
LLANVIHANGEL-CRUCORNEY, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANVIHANGEL-CRUCORNEY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 4 miles N.E. of Abergavenny, its post town. It is a station on the West-Midland railway. The parish is situated at the foot of Skirrid-Fawr, and watered by the river Monnow. The hamlet of Penbiddle is included in the parish. It was anciently the property of the Arnolds, from whom it passed into the Harley family in the reign of Queen Anne, and at present belongs to Lord Rodney.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £281. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There are charities amounting to about £4 per annum. Llanvihangel Court is an ancient seat, the property of Lord Rodney. It is chiefly remarkable for its avenue of firs, which are considered the finest in the kingdom."
"PANDY, a hamlet in the parish of Llanvihangel-Crucorney, county Monmouth, 6 N. by E. of Abergavenny. It is a station on the Worcester,-Hereford, and Abergavenny section of the West Midland railway. It is situated under the mountain of Skirridfawr, which attains an elevation of near 1,500 feet, on a branch of the river Monnow."
"PENBIDDLE, a hamlet in the parish of Llanvihangel-Crucorney, upper division of Skenfreth hundred, county Monmouth, 6 miles N.E. of Abergavenny."