"LLANVIHANGEL LLANTARNAM, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 3 miles N. of Newport. Caerleon is its post town. It is situated on the Afon Llwyd, a tributary of the river Usk. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £108. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The endowments belonging to the parish produce nearly £30 per annum. Llanvihangel House stands upon the site of, and is partly built from, the ruins of a Cistercian abbey that formerly stood here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanfihangel Llantarnum Parish; Statistics; Area 4092 acres; Population 683 males, 545 females, total 1228
Llanvihangel Lantarnum Parish Church Attendance - evening 69 + 14 scholars 2 (?) services in English David Davies, Incumbent
The Forge Room, Lantarnam, Baptist Erected 1849, not used exclusively as a place of worship Attendance - morning 32 + 22 scholars, afternoon 56 scholars, evening 65 Thomas Morgan, Manager, Pudler Cwmbran Iron Works
Elim Chapel, Independents Erected 1844 Attendance - morning 150, evening 300 We have no day school belonging to Elim Chapel John Jones, Deacon, St Diats Farm, Llantarnum
Wesleyan Methodist Erected ? - not used exclusively as a place of worship (otherwise a private dwelling) Attendance - evening 40 Charles Birkett, Local Preacher, 51 Commercial St, Newport
The OS Map of 1833 shows Cwmbran as a farm situated in the area now known as Upper Cwmbran, in the valley named Cwm Bran. Cwmbran New Town - Wales's first 'New Town' - was created in 1949 following the New Towns Act of 1946 "... to provide accommodation for the numerous employees who each day made their way to work in the new industries that were springing up in the Cwmbran Area."
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfihangel Llantarnam has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST306931 (Lat/Lon: 51.632366, -3.004140), Llanfihangel Llantarnam which are provided by: