LLANFIHANGEL LLANTARNAM, Monmouthshire
"LLANVIHANGEL LLANTARNAM, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 3 miles N. of Newport. Caerleon is its post town. It is situated on the Afon Llwyd, a tributary of the river Usk. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £108. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The endowments belonging to the parish produce nearly £30 per annum. Llanvihangel House stands upon the site of, and is partly built from, the ruins of a Cistercian abbey that formerly stood here."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Cadwell, Mildred A
walk about in history: Upper Cwmbran Gwent
Local History vol 46 1979 Welsh
- Edwards, Arthur. The rites and wrongs of Llantarnam, Gwent, in 1899.
Theologia Cambrensis 3 (1989), p. 5-11.
- Nichols, Reginald The
New Town of Cwmbran before 1850 or Some chit-chat about the lower Eastern
Local History vol 53 1982 Welsh
- Osborne, G O & G J Hobbs Note
on the Names and Location of Two Granges of Llantarnam Abbey: Makenel (Machenlleth)
and Torald Gwent
Local History vol 87 1999 Welsh
- Osborne, G O & G J Hobbs A
note on 'conesiding': a grange of Llantarnam Abbey Gwent
Local History vol 99 2005 Welsh
- Russell, J L Cwmbran
Development Corporation, Llanyravon Farm; Interim Historical Report Gwent
Local History vol 43 1977 Welsh
- Sims, Peter. Whoops - a mishap at Llantarnam!
The Welsh Railways Archive. Vol. 3, no. 2 (2000), p.54-55.
- Takel, R E A
disappearing past Gwent Local History. No. 96 2004
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanfihangel Llantarnum Parish; Statistics; Area 4092 acres; Population 683 males, 545 females, total 1228
- Llanvihangel Lantarnum Parish Church Attendance - evening 69 + 14 scholars 2 (?) services in English David Davies, Incumbent
- The Forge Room, Lantarnam, Baptist Erected 1849, not used exclusively as a place of worship Attendance - morning 32 + 22 scholars, afternoon 56 scholars, evening 65 Thomas Morgan, Manager, Pudler Cwmbran Iron Works
- Elim Chapel, Independents Erected 1844 Attendance - morning 150, evening 300 We have no day school belonging to Elim Chapel John Jones, Deacon, St Diats Farm, Llantarnum
- Wesleyan Methodist Erected ? - not used exclusively as a place of worship (otherwise a private dwelling) Attendance - evening 40 Charles Birkett, Local Preacher, 51 Commercial St, Newport
- Penywain Chapel, Independent Erected 1819 Attendance - morning 45, evening 67 William Waters, Deacon
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in
The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
- The OS Map of 1833 shows
Cwmbran as a farm situated in the area now known as Upper Cwmbran, in the valley named Cwm Bran.
Cwmbran New Town - Wales's first 'New Town' - was created in 1949 following the New Towns Act of 1946
"... to provide accommodation for the numerous employees who each day made their way to work in the new industries that were springing up in the Cwmbran Area."
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 4 March 2012)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.