Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanfihangel (Near Roggiet)
"LLANVIHANGEL-NEAR-ROGGIETT, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 6 miles S.W. of Chepstow, its post town. It is situated near the mouth of the river Severn. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Roggiett, in the diocese of Llandaff, value £95. The church is dedicated to St. Michael."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Stopgate, Barry The Manor House at Llanfihangel near Rogiet Gwent Local History vol 59 1985 Welsh Journals Online
- Stopgate, Barry Llanfihangel near Rogiet: a shrunken village in south east Gwent Gwent Local History vol 61 1986 Welsh Journals Online
- Winter, W C Severn Tunnel Marshalling Yards, 1886 - 12 Oct 1887 Gwent Local History 65 1988 Welsh Journals Online
- St Mary, Llanfihangel Rogiet, St Mary, Llanfihangel Rogiet, Llanfihangel Rogiet, Other
- St Michael And All Saints, Llanfihangel Rogiet, St Michael And All Saints, Llanfihangel Rogiet, Llanfihangel Rogiet, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Llanfihangel (Near Roggiet) area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanvihangel near Roggiett Parish; Statistics; Area 557 acres; Population 21 males, 21 females, total 42
- Llanvihangel juxta Roggiett Parish Church Attendance - morning 12 1 service in English Stephen Williams, Rector
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llanfihangel (Near Roggiet) which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST451878 (Lat/Lon: 51.586321, -2.793830), Llanfihangel (Near Roggiet) which are provided by: