Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANVIHANGEL-PONT-Y-MOILE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 1 mile E. of Pontypool, its post town. The Brecon canal passes through the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £87. The church is dedicated to St. Michael."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Evans, J Daryll. The clergy of Mamhilad and Llanfihangel Pontymoel. Pontypool : Archangel Press, 1990. 38p.
- Evans, J Daryll. St. Illtyd's and St. Michael's : the parish churches of Mamhilad and Llanfihangel Pontymoel in the County of Gwent. Pontypool : J. Daryll Evans, . 48p.
- Evans, J Daryll. Parson Cook of Llanfihangel Pontymoel. Gwent Local History vol 59 1985 Welsh Journals Online
- Lewis, Harry A history of New Inn Congregational Church Gwent Local History. No. 96 2004 Welsh Journals Online
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanfihangel Pontymoil Parish; Statistics; Area 1651 acres; Population 99 males, 106 females, total 205
- Llanfihangel Pontymoil Parish Church Attendance - morning 29 "The parish is very thinly inhabited there is no other place of worship in it than the Parish Church.............." 1 service in English Christopher Cook, Curate
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llanfihangel Pont-Y-Moel which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanfihangel Pont-Y-Moel has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO307009 (Lat/Lon: 51.702501, -3.004245), Llanfihangel Pont-Y-Moel which are provided by: