Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANVIHANGEL-TOR-Y-MYNYDD, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Ragland, county Monmouth, 7 miles N.W. of Chepstow, its post town. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £89, in the patronage of the archdeacon."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Cross Hands, Llanfihangel Tormynydd,, Cross Hands, Llanfihangel Tormynydd,, Llanfihangel Tormynydd, Other
- St Michael, Llanfihangel Tor-Y-Mynydd, St Michael, Llanfihangel Tor-Y-Mynydd, Llanfihangel Tor-Y-Mynydd, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Llanfihangel Torymynydd area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanvihangel-Tor-y-Mynydd Parish; Statistics; Area 1031 acres; Population 120 males, 110 females, total 230
- Llanvihangel Torymynydd Parish Church Attendance - morning 45 1 service in English John Price, Rector
- Cross Hands, Bible Christians Erected 1826 Attendance - afternoon 55, evening 125 Cornelius Dening, Minister, Tintern Abbey
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Llanfihangel Torymynydd, St Michael's Church - records with the NLW
|1594-1806 with gaps
||1699-1747 with gaps, 1754-1812
||1594-1773 with gaps, 1785-1803
||1725-1819, 1821-2, 1824-5, 1827-62 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Llanfihangel Torymynydd which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanfihangel Torymynydd has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO459021 (Lat/Lon: 51.714963, -2.784500), Llanfihangel Torymynydd which are provided by: