Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanfihangel Ystum Llywern / Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern
"LLANVIHANGEL-YSTERN-LLEWERN, a parish in the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 5 miles N.W. of Monmouth, its post town. It is situated on the river Trothy. It is chiefly used as grassland, and for the growth of fruit trees. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £221. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The charities, including £9 to Thomas's school, produce about £9 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ebenezer, Llanfihangel Ystum Llywern,, Ebenezer, Llanfihangel Ystum Llywern,, Llanfihangel Ystum Llywern, Other
- Grace Dieu Abbey (Cistercian), Grace Dieu Abbey (Cistercian), Llanvihangel Ystern Llewern, Other
- Pant Chapel Society Of Friends, Llanfihangel-Ystern-Llewern, Pant Chapel Society Of Friends, Llanfihangel-Yster, Llanfihangel-Ystern-Llewern, Other
- St Michael, Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern, St Michael, Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern, Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Llanfihangel Ystum Llywern / Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanvihangel-ystern-Llewern Parish; Statistics; Area 1864 acres; Population 100 males, 71 females, total 171
- Llanvihangel-ystern-Llewern Parish Church Attendance (average) - morning 45 + 12 scholars, afternoon 40 + 6 scholars 2 services in English A O Crawley, Curate
- Ebenezer Chapel, Baptist Erected 1842 Attendance - morning 27 + 10 scholars, afternoon 18 scholars, evening 33 Thomas Cobner, Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Llanfihangel Ystum Llywern / Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanfihangel Ystum Llywern / Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO432138 (Lat/Lon: 51.819883, -2.825494), Llanfihangel Ystum Llywern / Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern which are provided by: