Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llan-wern / Llanwern
"LLANWERN, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 4 miles E. of Newport, its post town. It is a station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway. The wooded knolls and elevations to the right of the village are frequently capped with lias. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £100. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The principal residence is Llanwern House, the seat of the Rev. Sir C. Salusbury, Bart."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Llanwern works. British Steel Corporation, Llanwern Works, [1985?]
- Lyes, Chris. Llanwern house. Gwent Local History 77 (1994), p. 49-56.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanwern Parish; Statistics; Area 701 acres; Population 10 males, 19 females, total 29
- Llanwern Parish Church Attendance - morning 60 "The congregation consists of individuals from the adjoining parishes as in the parish the Mansion House and one cottage are the only dwellings" 1 service in English Charles Salusbury, Rector, Llanwern House
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Llan-wern / Llanwern which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST371878 (Lat/Lon: 51.585483, -2.909286), Llan-wern / Llanwern which are provided by: