Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Magwyr / Magor
"MAGOR, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 7 miles E. of Newport, and 6 miles S.E. of Caerleon, its post town. It is situated on the coast of the Bristol Channel, and has a station on the South Wales railway. The township includes the chapelry of Redwick. Petty sessions are held in the village, which is a small agricultural place. The living is a vicarage with Redwick, in the diocese of Llandaff, value £285. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a place of worship for Baptists, also a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Jones, Malcolm. Caldicot and the villages of the Moor in old photographs : including the villages of Portskewett, Sudbrook, Rogiet, Undy, Magor and Redwick. Volume 1. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse, 1995. 128p.
- Kennedy, Dina. A den of thieves and murderers?: Magor in the 1530s. Gwent Local History vol 87 1999 Welsh Journals Online
- Kennedy, Dina. Who was Cadwaladr? : a problem in the early history of Magor. Gwent Local History 82 1997 Welsh Journals Online
- Lawler, Martin. Investigations at Barland's Farm, Magor, 1993. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary (1993), p. 109-12.
- Lewis, C J. "The Cathedral of the Moors" : St Mary's Church, Magor. Newport] : [C. J. Lewis], .
- Locock, Martin. Further late prehistoric features on the foreshore at Chapeltump, Magor, Monmouthshire : Chapeltump II and the Upton Trackway. Studia Celtica. Vol. 34 (2000), p. 17-48 .
- Magor and St Mellons Rural District official guide. Carshalton : Home Publishing,  24p.
- Nayling, Nigel. The Magor Pill medieval wreck. York : Council for British Archaeology, 1998. 173p.
- Redknap, Mark. An archaeological and historical context for the medieval Magor Pill boat. Maritime Wales 19 (1997-98), p. 9-29.
- Strong, Peter Magor and Undy in the Great War Gwent Local History vol 86 1999 Welsh Journals Online
- Thomas, Howard J. The mansion-house of Magor. Monmouthshire Antiquary 8 (1992), p. 31-4.
- St Mary's Church, Magor, St Mary's Church, Magor, Magor, Other
- The Church Hall, Sycamore Terrace, Magor, The Church Hall, Sycamore Terrace, Magor, Magor, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Magwyr / Magor area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Magor Parish, consisting of Magor and Redwick Chapelry; Statistics; Area 10,514 acres; Population 353 males, 346 females, total 699
- Magor Parish Church Attendance (average) - morning 80 + 30 scholars, afternoon 90 (alternate?) 1 service in English David Jones, Curate
- Ebenezer Chapel, Baptist Erected 1816 Also used as a Day School Attendance - morning 50, evening 175 Thomas Leonard, Minister
- Redwick Chapelry
- Redwick Parish Church Attendance (average) - 30 + 10 scholars, afternoon 30 + 10 scholars (alternate?) 1 service in English D Jones, Curate
- Salem Chapel, Baptist Erected 1832 Attendance - morning 21 + 13 scholars, evening 68 Thomas Leonard, Baptist Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Magwyr / Magor which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST425869 (Lat/Lon: 51.577969, -2.831206), Magwyr / Magor which are provided by: