MARSHFIELD, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MARSHFIELD, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.W. of Newport, its post town, and 7 from Cardiff: It has a station on the Great Western line of railway. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £176, and the vicarial for one of £48. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £52, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is a large and ancient structure with stone stalls."
"CASTLETON, a village in the parish of Marshfield, hundred of Wentlloog, in the county of Monmouth, 6 miles to the S.W. of Newport. It is situated near the border of Glamorganshire, not far from the South Wales railway, on which Marshfield is a station. This place was the site of a castle founded soon after the Norman Conquest, of which there are some slight remains. Near the village is a hill called Pen-y-Park-Newydd, on the top of which is an ancient round camp. The prospect from the hill is extensive and beautiful."