We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Matharn / Mathern
"MATHERNE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 2 miles S. of Chepstow, its post town, and 14 from Newport. It is situated on Matherne Pill, at which place the river Wye joins the Severn. A house called Monks Court is partly of the 15th century, and was inhabited by the bishops of Llandaff until 1706, but it is now converted into a farmhouse."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Coplestone-Crow, Bruce A Grant of Lands in the Manor of Wallstone Gwent Local History vol 87 1999 Welsh Journals Online
- Davies, E T. A history of the parish of Mathern. Mathern : Mathern Parochial Church Council, 1990. 68p.
- Denison, Keith M. Mathern : history from the parish registers. Chepstow : Chepstow Society, 1977. 24p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Matherne Parish; Statistics; Area 3281 acres; Population 238 male, 213 female, total 451
- Mathern Parish Church Attendance - morning 35, afternoon 40 2 services in English Informant; Chrs Davis
- Wesleyan Chapel Erected 1832 Attendance - morning 7 scholars, afternoon 50, evening 40 Richard Pain, Chapel Steward
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Matharn / Mathern, St Theodoric's Church - records with the NLW
|1576-1630, 1656, 1661, 1663-4, 1669-1739, 1742-92
||1565-1632, 1644-7, 1651, 1676, 1680, 1684-1739, 1754-1835
||1565-1645, 1664-7, 1676, 1679-80, 1684-1739, 1742-92
||1696, 1725-34, 1736-43, 1745-9, 1751-2, 1754-1826, 1828-76 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Matharn / Mathern which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Matharn / Mathern has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST523908 (Lat/Lon: 51.613950, -2.690324), Matharn / Mathern which are provided by: