"MONMOUTH, a parish, market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, having separate jurisdiction, but locally in the lower division of the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, of which it is the county town, 130 miles W. by N. of London, and 79 miles from Worcester by the West Midland section of the Great Western railway, which has a branch of 18 miles from Pontypool Road to Monmouth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Davies, Ebenezer T. The inns and friendly societies of Monmouth. Monmouth : Monmouth Historical and Educational Trust, 1982. 48p.
Davies, O Talog. Antique maps of Monmouth Part 1, 1573-1695. Wolverley, Kidderminster] : O. Talog Davies, . 32p.
Dunning, Robert. The Monmouth rebellion. Dovecote, 1985.
Edwards, Arthur. The seven bishops : in celebration of the seventy-fifth birthday of the Diocese of Monmouth - 1996. [Newport] : Monmouth Diocese, 1997. 69p.
Gomme, Andor. St. Mary's Monmouth : the building of the eighteenth century church. Monmouthshire Antiquary 5 (1985-88), p. 88-95.
Harrison, Derek. Monmouth and its railways : Derek Harrison looks at three single-line railways that once served a diverse community. Steam Days 39 (1992), p. 595-9.
Heath, Charles. Historical and descriptive accounts of the ancient and present state of the town of Monmouth : including a variety of other particulars deserving the stranger's notice, relating to the borough and its neighbourhood. Collected from original papers and unquestionable authorities, the whole never before published. [Monmouth] : Printed and sold by him [Charles Heath]: sold also by Mr. Roberts, Ross; Mrs. Kirby, Chepstow; and at all the inns in the county, 1804.
Hopson, Mary. Monmouth in 1885 : or, Gleanings from the Monmouthshire Beacon, Forest of Dean Gazette, General Advertiser for the Counties of Monmouth, Hereford and Gloucester, and for South Wales, January to December, 1885. [Llanrothal, Monmouth] : Tregate Press, 1985. 56p.
Hopson, Mary. A record of the memorial stones in Monmouth Parish churchyard. Llanrothal, Monmouth] : Tregate Press, 1988. 37p.
Illustrated handbook to Monmouth and the various objects of interest around it : with a map showing the railways and distances from Monmouth to the principal points of attraction. Monmouth : R. Waugh, [18--?] 77p.
Kissack, Keith. Education in Monmouth. Monmouth & district Field Club & Antiquarian Society, 1967?. 21p.
Kissack, Keith. The formative years : the rise of Monmouth under its Breton Lords 1075-1257 with an appendix of dates from 1066 to the present day. Monmouth & district Field Club & Antiquarian Society, [1946?] 17p.
Kissack, Keith. The building of Monmouth. Monmouth : Monmouth Historical and Educational Trust, 1989. 12p.
Kissack, Keith. Monmouth School and Monmouth, 1614-1995. Hereford : Lapridge Publications, 1995. 158p.
Kissack, Keith. The lordship, parish and borough of Monmouth. Hereford : Lapridge Publications, 1996. 159p.
Monmouth and the river Wye : in old photographs : from Goodrich to Brockweir. Gloucester : Sutton, 1989. 160p.
Monmouth official guide. Monmouth : Post Haste, 1985. 40p.
Sedgwick, Molly Dolly Shepherd, an Edwardian Parachutist, at Monmouth Gwent Local History vol 62 1987 Welsh Journals Online
Shirehampton. W J P. Monmouth's railways : a historical survey. Monmouth & district Field Club & Antiquarian Society, [196-?] 10p.
Taylor, Robert. Taylor's illustrated guide to the banks of the Wye, including Chepstow, Monmouth, Ross ... and other parts of the Welsh borders : with historical and topographical remarks. Chepstow : Robert Taylor, 1853. 70p.
The Monmouth registers : illustrative of the history, manners, and morals, of the town and neighbourhood. Monmouth : W. Bailey, 1872. 29p.
The true and interesting history of William Owen and Polly Morgan, both of Monmouth town. London : printed by W. Bailey, 1782. 32p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Monmouth Parish & Borough; Statistics; Area 3420 acres; Population 2445 males, 2744 females, total 5189
St Mary's Parish Church, Monmouth "Erected - two distinct periods, about the C15th; and about one hundred and fifty years back" Attendance - morning 500 + 150 scholars, afternoon 50 scholars, evening 600 3 services in English Edw. F. Arney, Vicar
Church of St Thomas "An ancient Saxon Structure but whether originally a Parish church or otherwise is not known. It was in a dilapidated state and had not been used for many years. It was restored in 1831 and opened for Divine Service in 1832." Attendance - morning 200 + 57 scholars, evening 250 + 20 scholars 2 services in English Joseph Fawcett Beddy, M.A, Minister
School Room belonging to Jones's Charity Attendance - afternoon 97 "The Lectureship was endowed 200 years ago to afford week day administration and a Lecture on Sunday to the inmates of Jones's almshouses" Charles Augustus Halson, Lecturer
Chapel of the Union House "For the use of the Inmates of Monmouth Union House" Attendance - afternoon 51 + 47 scholars J B Bourne, Chaplain
Chapel in the County Gaol "a new one erected about one or two years ago" Attendance - 85/90 Informant; Edward Johnson Gosling, M.A, Chaplain
Roman Catholic Chapel Erected 1794 Attendance - morning 180 Thomas Burgess, Catholic Priest, St Mary's St, Monmouth
Glendower St Independent Chapel Erected 1832 Attendance - morning 250 + 50 scholars, evening 200 William Major Paull, Minister
Wesleyan Free Church Meeting Room Wesleyan Methodist (Reformer) Attendance - morning 50, evening 105 William Higgins, Manager, Monnow Bridge, Monmouth
Monnow St Primitive Methodist Meeting House Erected 1835 Attendance - afternoon 53, evening 64 George Grigg, Superintendant, Dry Bridge St, Monmouth
Monnow St Baptist Chapel Erected 1820 Attendance - (average) morning 80, afternoon 50 scholars, evening 130 Henry Clark, Minister
St James St, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Erected 1837 Attendance - morning 50 + 40 scholars, evening 200 "Divine Service has been held in this town for more than 60 years. The present chapel is a new erection and some untoward circumstances have made against the congregation. Perhaps not more than half the inhabitants of the town attend any place of worship on the Sabbath day, " William Baker, Minister, St James's St, Monmouth
Primitive Methodist (Branch) Meeting House Erected 1846 Attendance (average) - morning 40 George Watkins, Steward, Wye Bridge, Monmouth
Buckholt Primitive Methodist Meeting House Erected 1850 Attendance - afternoon 20, evening 45 George Gregg, Superintendant, Dry Bridge St, Monmouth
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO509129 (Lat/Lon: 51.812522, -2.713662), Monmouth / Trefynwy which are provided by: