|Where is it
"MYNYDDYSLWYN, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 8½ miles N.W. of Newport, its post town, and 7 S.W. of Pontypool. The parish, which is extensive, contains the hamlets of Mynyddmaen, Clawrplwyf, and Penmaen. The inhabitants are employed in the numerous collieries, ironworks, stone quarries, and in cotton-weaving. The village is considerable. It is a meet for the Tyisha harriers.
The surface is boldly undulating, and the lower grounds are watered by the rivers Sirhowy and Ebbw, which, after uniting their streams, flow into the Usk near its confluence with the Severn. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £580. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Llandaff; value £150, in the patronage of the bishop.
The church, dedicated to St. Tyder, is a spacious structure with a tower rebuilt in 1816. There is also a district church at Penmaen, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £150 The church is modern. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Calvinistic Methodists, Baptists, and Independents. Near the church is a large tumulus, supposed to have been a beacon or signal station, also slight vestiges of an ancient religious house."
"ABERCARNE, a town in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn, lower division of Wentlooge hundred, in the county of Monmouth, 7 miles N.W. of Newport. It is situated on the river Ebwy and on the Crumlin canal. The Abercarne station on the Western Valleys' railway, is at the confluence of the Gwydden with the Ebwy, near Abergwydden."
"CLAWRPLWYF, a hamlet in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn, in the lower division of the hundred of Wentllooge, in the county of Monmouth, 7 miles S.W. of Pontypool."
"FIROM ISAF, a hamlet in the county Monmouth, 7 miles N.W. of Newport. The river Rumney flows past it."
"MYNYDDMAEN, a hamlet in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn, county Monmouth, 8 miles S.W. of Wentllooge."
"PENMAIN, a chapelry in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn, lower division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 10 miles N.W. of Newport, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated in the midst of a mountainous country. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the collieries, and some in weaving. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £150, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. The church is dedicated to St. Tyder."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 17 Feb 2009)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date