Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Trefonnen / Nash
"NASH, a parish in the lower division of Caldicott hundred, county Monmouth, 3 miles S. by E. of Newport, its post town, and 5 from Caerleon. It is situated on the Bristol Channel, near the mouth of the river Usk. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £30, and the vicarial for £26. The impropriation belongs to the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value £80, in the patronage of Eton College. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum, realised from poor's land."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Nash Parish; Statistics; Area 3563 acres; Population 155 males, 156 females, total 311
- Nash Parish Church Attendance - 30 morning and afternoon alternatively 1 service in English B Samuel
- Baptist Chapel Erected c 1822 Attendance - morning 38 + 36 scholars, evening 86 Tom Jordan Thomas, Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Trefonnen / Nash which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST344837 (Lat/Lon: 51.548314, -2.947484), Trefonnen / Nash which are provided by: