We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Eglwys Newydd Ar Y Cefn Yr / Newchurch
"NEWCHURCH, a parish in the upper division of Caldicott hundred, county Monmouth, 5 miles N.W. of Chepstow, its post town, and 12 from Monmouth. It is in two divisions, E. and W., and includes the chapelry of Devandean. The village is considerable, but chiefly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £166. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Devandean. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Newchurch Parish consisting of East Division and West Division; Statistics; Area 5434 acres; Population 382 males, 365 females, total 747
- East Division
- Devanden Chapel, Church of England Consecrated 1837 as an additional chapel to the Mother Church Attendance - morning 39 scholars, afternoon 70 + 39 scholars, evening 59 2 services in English David Jones, Off. Ministr
- Glynn Chapel, Wesleyan Erected 1824 Attendance - afternoon 35 "One service at half two every Sabath and once in three weeks on Wednesday at 7 in the evening" James White, Steward, Glen Vale
- Mount Ephraim, Wesleyan Erected 1841 Attendance - morning 23 (alternately afternoons) Thomas Thomas, Local Preacher, Middle St
- West Division
- Newchurch Parish Church Attendance - (average) morning 30, afternoon 50 (alternately?) 1 service in English Joseph Camplin Prosser, Vicar
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Ddefawdon, Y / Devauden, Unknown Dedication (formed from Yr Eglwys Newydd ar y Cefn/Newchurch) - records with the Gwent RO
||1839-48, 1851-73 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Eglwys Newydd Ar Y Cefn Yr / Newchurch which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Eglwys Newydd Ar Y Cefn Yr / Newchurch has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST454975 (Lat/Lon: 51.673559, -2.791015), Eglwys Newydd Ar Y Cefn Yr / Newchurch which are provided by: