We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Pant-Teg / Panteg
"PAN TEAGUE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 2 miles S.E. of Pontypool, its post town, and 4 W. by S. of Usk. It is a petty sessions town and place of considerable importance. The Brecon and Monmouth canal passes about 1½ mile W. of the parish, which is traversed by the road from Pontypool to Newport. The surface is in parts bold and mountainous, and diversified with extensive lakes. About a third of the land is in meadow and pasture, another third mountain pasture and common, and the remainder divided between arabic and woodland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Clarke, Pat. The story of the steelmakers of Panteg. Pontypool : Village Publishing, 1999. 59p.
- Lewis, Harry The Polo Ground at New Inn Gwent Local History vol 80 1996 Welsh Journals Online
- Lewis, Harry Lower New Inn in the 1920s: a childhood spent in a small community Gwent Local History vol 99 2005 Welsh Journals Online
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Panteague Parish; Statistics; Area 3454 acres; Population 1215 males, 1134 females, total 2349
- Panteague Parish Church Attendance - morning 170 1 service in English David Jones, Rector
- Ivy Chapel, Panteg - Church of England Attendance - evening 150 "This building was used formerly as a meeting house by the Quakers.........." David Jones, Officiating Minister ("Chapel situated at Pant-y-moile formerly belonging to the Society of Friends" Lewis 1848)
- New Inn Chapel, Independents Erected 1756, rebuilt 1823 Attendance - morning 85, afternoon 50 scholars, evening 88 (33?) "God save the Queen. No popery" David Davies, Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Pant-Teg / Panteg which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Pant-Teg / Panteg has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST310990 (Lat/Lon: 51.685457, -2.999528), Pant-Teg / Panteg which are provided by: