Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
PAN TEAGUE, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"PAN TEAGUE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 2 miles S.E. of Pontypool, its post town, and 4 W. by S. of Usk. It is a petty sessions town and place of considerable importance. The Brecon and Monmouth canal passes about 1½ mile W. of the parish, which is traversed by the road from Pontypool to Newport. The surface is in parts bold and mountainous, and diversified with extensive lakes. About a third of the land is in meadow and pasture, another third mountain pasture and common, and the remainder divided between arabic and woodland.
The soil is chiefly clay and loam. There are extensive iron mines, collieries, and stone-quarries. Many of the inhabitants are employed at the iron furnaces and forges, and in the tin-plate mills. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £331, and the glebe comprises about 34 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff; value £351. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Mary. There are besides two chapels-of-ease, one at Pont-y-Moile, formerly a meeting-house belonging to the Society of Friends, and the other at Pen-yr-hoel, built by the late patronage The Independents and Calvinistic Methodists have each a place of worship."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]