Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Pen-Clawdd / Pen-y-Clawdd
"PEN-Y-CLAWDD, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Ragland, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.W. of Monmouth, its post town, and 3 from Ragland. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated on the old road from Usk to Monmouth. The village consists of a few farmhouses. Stone is quarried for building purposes. The appropriate tithes, belonging to the Archdeacon and Chapter of Llandaff, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £50. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Llangoven, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is an ancient structure. There is a village school. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Pen-y-Clawdd Parish; Statistics; Area 614 acres; Population 24 males, females 18, total 42
- Pen-y-Clawdd Parish Church Attendance - (average) morning 18 "The entire population attend the parish church when service is held alternately morning and afternoon" 1 service in English James Farquhar, Perpetual Curate
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Pen-Clawdd / Pen-y-Clawdd which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO452078 (Lat/Lon: 51.766141, -2.795531), Pen-Clawdd / Pen-y-Clawdd which are provided by: