We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Pen-Hw / Penhow

"PENHOW, a parish in the lower division of Caldicott hundred, county Monmouth, 7 miles N.E. of Newport, its post town, and 6 E. by S. of Caerleon. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on Prat-Pill, in Wentwood. There are some ruins of St. Maur, or Seymour's Castle, at a farm in the neighbourhood. About a third of the parish is woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture. The surface is undulating, and the soil calcareous. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £194. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)


  • Hook, Mandi. Kings, cobwebs and a castle reborn : the changing fortunes of Penhow Castle. In Britain (February 1994), p. 36-9.
  • Morgan, Charles O. Notes on Penhow Castle. Newport, 1867. 27p.
  • Morgan, Shem. Penhow through the ages. Caldicot : Penhow Millennium Committee, 2001. 32p
  • Penhow Castle : Wales' oldest lived in castle : [souvenir history & guide].Chepstow] : Penhow Castle, 1987. 16p.
  • Weeks, Stephen             Penhow Castle            Gwent Local History vol 46 1979      Welsh Journals Online

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.  Check with  Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.

Penhow Parish; Statistics; Area 1784 acres; Population 150 males, 129 females, total 279

  • No Returns
  • According to Lewis 1849 it was a discharged rectory with 2 services in English.  The incumbent was a R J Smith, resident

Church Records

See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records

  • This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
    Pen-Hw / Penhow, St John the Baptist's Church - records with the Gwent RO
    Baptisms Marriages Burials
    1725-1961 1725-1975 1725-1812
    Bishops Transcripts 1725-1839, 1846-51, 1853-4, 1857, 1860-72, 1875, 1880-5 - records with the NLW
    [Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Pen-Hw / Penhow which are provided by:


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Pen-Hw / Penhow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


  • Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.  Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST424907 (Lat/Lon: 51.612123, -2.833274), Pen-Hw / Penhow which are provided by:

Military History