Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
PENHOW, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"PENHOW, a parish in the lower division of Caldicott hundred, county Monmouth, 7 miles N.E. of Newport, its post town, and 6 E. by S. of Caerleon. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on Prat-Pill, in Wentwood. There are some ruins of St. Maur, or Seymour's Castle, at a farm in the neighbourhood. About a third of the parish is woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture. The surface is undulating, and the soil calcareous. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £194. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist."
"STRIGUIL, (or Skigil), a ruined castle or stronghold in Went Wood, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.E. of Usk. It was built by Richard de Clare, surnamed Strongbow, and now belongs to the Duke of Beaufort."
"WENTWOOD FOREST, a demesne in the parishes of Penhow and Kemeys Inferior, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.E. of Usk, a tract belonging to the Duke of Beaufort, whose seat is Wentwood Lodge. The Llangibby hounds meet here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]