Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Penteri / Penterry
"PENTERRY, a parish in the upper division of Caldicott hundred, county Monmouth, 3 miles N.W. of Chepstow, its post town, and 10 from Monmouth. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Wye. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff; value £65, in the patronage of the chapter."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Penterry;Pentirih, Church;St Mary's Church, Penterry;Pentirih, Church;St Mary's Church, Penterry, Other
- St Mary, Penterry, St Mary, Penterry, Penterry, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Penteri / Penterry area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Penterry Parish; Statistics; Area 479 acres; Population 17 males, 17 females, total 34
- Penterry Parish Church Attendance - (average) morning 20, afternoon 42(alternate?) "There is no Sunday School in the parish. The numbers of children above 5 and under 14, is 4.......The Sunday School at Chapel Hill supplies in great degree the deficiency being distant only a mile and a quarter" 1 service in English Davies Jones, Perpetual Curate
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Penteri / Penterry, St Mary's Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1727, 1729-70, 1772, 1776-1815, 1817-24, 1826-76 - records with the NLW
||1877 - records with the Gwent RO
You can see pictures of Penteri / Penterry which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Penteri / Penterry has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST521996 (Lat/Lon: 51.693052, -2.694420), Penteri / Penterry which are provided by: