"PETERSTONE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 6 miles S.W. of Newport, its post town, and the same distance from Cardiff. The village, which is small, is situated on the Bristol Channel. The impropriate tithes, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £130, and those of the perpetual curate for one of £25. The appropriate glebe comprises 63 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £57, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, with a lofty tower supported by buttresses. It was erected at the expense of Fitzhamon's daughter Maud."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)