We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Porthsgiwed / Portskewett

"PORTSKEWETT, (or Portscuett) a parish in the upper division of Caldicott hundred, county Monmouth, 4 miles S.W. of Chepstow, its post town, and 11 from Usk. It is a station on the South Wales railway. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated near the Black Rock Inn ferry, on the river Severn, formerly called the New Passage. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and meadow."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)


  • Bevan, Arthur          Sudbrook            Gwent Local History vol 50 1981    Welsh Journals Online
  • Gant, Robert. Portskewett 1891 : a census geography. Gwent Local History 79 (1995), p. 29-36.
  • Gant, Robert          A note on the employment and migration of Severn Tunnel construction workers          Gwent Local History vol 41 1976          Welsh Journals Online
  • Gant, Robert               Portskewett 1881: a community profile           Gwent Local History vol 55 1983        Welsh Journals Online
  • Gant, Robert           Portskewett 1891: a census geography            Gwent Local History 79 1995   Welsh Journals Online
  • Gant, Robert            Continuity and change in Portskewett: an interpretation of the 1901 census returns          Gwent Local History vol 101   2006    Welsh Journals Online
  • Grant, Robert.    Industrial change in Caldicot and Portskewett : an analysis of marriage registers, 1840-1920.         Gwent Local History vol 62 1987     Welsh Journals Online
  • Humphries, Honor. Portrait of a parish : the parish of Portskewett and Sudbrook. Gwent Family History Society Journal. No. 71 (Sept. 2003), p. 8.
  • Jones, Malcolm. Caldicot and the villages of the Moor in old photographs : including the villages of Portskewett, Sudbrook, Rogiet, Undy, Magor and Redwick. Volume 1. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse, 1995. 128p.
  • Lewis, Harry            The New Passage Railway Ferry          Gwent Local History vol 47 1979      Welsh Journals Online

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.  Check with  Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.

Portscuett or Portskewett Parish; Statistics; Area 1779 acres; Population 100 males, 87 females, total 187

  • Portskewett with Southbrook Parish Church              Attendance - morning 70 + 26 scholars     1 service in English           E J Lewis, Rector

Church Records

See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records

  • This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
    Porthsgiwed / Portskewett, St Mary's Church - records with the Gwent RO
    Baptisms Marriages Burials
    1593-1926 1593-1953 1593-1771, 1776-1911
    Bishops Transcripts 1725-57, 1760-90, 1792-1829, 1831-70, 1873, 1875, 1879-82 - records with the NLW
    [Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Porthsgiwed / Portskewett which are provided by:


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Porthsgiwed / Portskewett has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST499882 (Lat/Lon: 51.590365, -2.724611), Porthsgiwed / Portskewett which are provided by:
  • Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.  Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.