|Where is it
"PORTSKEWETT, (or Portscuett) a parish in the upper division of Caldicott hundred, county Monmouth, 4 miles S.W. of Chepstow, its post town, and 11 from Usk. It is a station on the South Wales railway. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated near the Black Rock Inn ferry, on the river Severn, formerly called the New Passage. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and meadow.
There are traces of an ancient chapel. Near the bank of the Severn are vestiges of a treble-ditched Roman camp at Sudbrook on the Via Julia, part of which has been swept away by the river. The ancient road from this station to the great camp at Caerwent passed through this parish. The living is a rectory* with those of St. Pierre and Sudbrook annexed, value £405, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
"SUDBROOKE, a hamlet, formerly a parish, now united with the parish of Portskewett in the upper division of Caldicott hundred, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.W. of Chepstow. The living is a discharged rectory annexed to that of Portskewit. The church has long been in ruins."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 17 Feb 2009)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date