"RISCA, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 5 miles N.W. of Newport, its post town, and 9 from Pontypool. It is situated on the Crumlin canal and tram-railway, and is chiefly dependent upon its extensive collieries, copper and ironworks. The impropriate tithes belong to the Bishop of Llandaff. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £102, in the patronage of the Vicar of Bassaleg. The church is dedicated to St. Michael (now St Mary). Risca House, about half a mile S.E. of the village, is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Osborne, G O Dr Notes on the Place Name Pontymister: Identification of "Mayst" in the Taxatio of 1291 Gwent Local History 70 1991 Welsh Journals Online
Osborne, Graham The construction of the Grwyne Fawr Waterworks (1913-1928): a relic at Crosskeys Gwent Local History. No. 98 2005 Welsh Journals Online
Paget, Mary (ed). Man of the Valleys: the Recollections of a South Wales Miner. Alan Sutton, 1985. 166p. William Paget, 1870-1968) lived at Colliery Place, Risca.
Portrait of a parish : Risca. Gwent Family History Society Journal. No. 73 (Mar. 2004), p. 23-25 .
Strickland, Jack. Risca Rugby days of glory. Newport : Starling, 1983. 85p.
The Risca Colliery explosion : a full report of the evidence given at the inquest, carefully compiled from the reports of the "Star of Gwent", "Merlin" and short-hand notes taken on the spot ; to which is added an index of the contents. Newport, printed at the "Star of Gwent" Office, 1861. 101p.
The Urban District of Risca, Monmouthshire, official guide. Gloucester : British Publishing Co.,  16p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Risca Parish; Statistics; Area 1877 acres; Population 1091 males, 953 females, total 2044
The Church of an Ancient Chapelry "There are no legends to know when consecrated or licensed" Attendance - morning 49 + 15 scholars, evening 93 2 services in English David Davies, Incumbent
Paran, Welsh Independents Erected 1843 Attendance - morning 85, afternoon 49 scholars, evening 91 Ll Griffiths, Deacon, Agent Chemical Works
Moriah Chapel, Baptists Erected 1818, rebuilt 1836 Attendance - morning 247, afternoon 100 scholars, evening 415 "Be it observed that that all the services are conducted almost exclusively in the Welsh language" James Rowe, Minister, Risca
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST236911 (Lat/Lon: 51.613478, -3.104824), Rhisga / Risca which are provided by:
Coal mines in the Cross Keys/Risca area - on the Cross keys Local History site. Some of the mines featured are; Benson's level; Celynen South; Blackvein; Cwmbyr; Cwmcarn; Darran; Drill Hall; Green's level; Jack y North; Nine Mile Point; North Risca; Old Ventillator: Prince of Wales;Rock Vein. See also the Welsh Coal Mines site for individual named pits