Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Tredelerch / Rumney
"RUMNEY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 3 miles N.E. of Cardiff, its post town, and 9 S.W. of Newport. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Rumney, which flows 30 miles S. to the Bristol Channel, through a mineral valley, traversing the Brecon and Glamorganshire borders. The river is navigable for small craft, and the London road to Milford passes through the parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Allen, John - Rumney Great Wharf. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary (1992), p. 31-4.
- Allen. John R L - Archaeological notes: Rumney Great Wharf, South Glamorgan.
- Allen, John R L - Three final Bronze Age occupations at Rumney Great Wharf on the Wentlooge Level, Gwent. Studia Celtica, 30 (1996), p. 1-16.
- Allen, John R L - An early post-medieval timber setting and subrectangular diggings in Late Flandrian estuarine sediments, Rumney Great Wharf, Cardiff (formerly Monmouthshire). Archaeologia Cambrensis, Vol. 145 (1996), p. 152-168.
- Allen, John R L - Reclamation and sea defence in Rumney parish (Monmouthshire). Archaeologia Cambrensis, 137 1988, p. 135-40.
- Boyce, Ron - A recollection of 100 years of the Baptist ministry in Rumney, Cardiff. 19??. 24p.
- Hobbs, Frances - 170 years of Wesleyan Methodist witness, 1823-1993 : Rumney Methodist Church. Cardiff : Rumney Methodist Church, 1993. 55p.
- Neal, Marjorie et al. - Rumney & St Mellons, A History of two Villages. Compiled by Marjorie Neal, Sylvia Atherton, Marilyn Nurse, Allen Hambly & Sam Parker. First published: August 2005. © 2005 Rumney and District Local History Society. Information provided by Robert Gatheridge. Added 13 Mar 2006.
- North, Geoffrey A - Rumney and Wentlooge Level. Stroud : Chalford, 1997. 128p.
- Beulah English Baptist Chapel, Brynteg Crescent, Rhymney, Other
- Bryn-Teg Crescent Chapel, Bryn-Teg Crescent, Rhymni, Other
- Brynhyfryd Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Brynhyfryd, Other
- Calvary Pentecostal, Rhymney, Other
- Ebenezer (1), Carno Street, Twyn-Carno, Rhymney, Rhymni, Ebenezer (1), Carno Street, Twyn-Carno, Rhymney, R, Rhymney, Other
- Ebenezer (2), Carno Street, Twyncarno, Rhymney; Rhymni, Ebenezer (2), Carno Street, Twyncarno, Rhymney; Rh, Rhymni, Other
- Emmanuel Baptist Chapel, Thomas Road, Rhymni; Rhymney, Emmanuel Baptist Chapel, Thomas Road, Rhymni; Rhym, Rhymney, Other
- English Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Victoria Road, Rhymni; Rh, English Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Victoria Road, , Rhymni, Other
- Hafod-Arthen Road Chapel, Hafod-Arthen Road, Brynhyfryd,, Hafod-Arthen Road Chapel, Hafod-Arthen Road, Brynh, Brynhyfryd, Other
- Jerusalem Welsh Baptist Chapel, Jerusalem Street; Hill Stree, Jerusalem Welsh Baptist Chapel, Jerusalem Street; , Rhymney, Other
- Moriah (Moreia) Welsh Independent Chapel, Moriah Street, Rhy, Moriah (Moreia) Welsh Independent Chapel, Moriah S, Rhymney, Other
- Mount Carmel Independent Chapel, Adjoining The Park, Rhymney, Mount Carmel Independent Chapel, Adjoining The Par, Rhymney, Other
- Penuel Baptist Chapel, Rhymney;Rhymni, Penuel Baptist Chapel, Rhymney;Rhymni, Rhymney, Other
- Ramsden Street, Ramsden Street, Rhymni,, Ramsden Street, Ramsden Street, Rhymni,, Rhymni, Other
- Rhymni Mission Room, Rhymni Mission Room, Rhymni, Other
- Seion Welsh Independentchapel, Carno Street, Twyn-Carno, Rhy, Seion Welsh Independentchapel, Carno Street, Twyn-, Rhymney, Other
- St David, Rhymney, St David, Rhymney, Rhymney, Other
- St David, Rhymney, St David, Rhymney, Rhymney, Other
- St John's, Rhymni,, St John's, Rhymni,, Rhymni, Other
- St Mark's, Hill Street, Rhymni,, St Mark's, Hill Street, Rhymni,, Rhymni, Other
- St Matthew's, High Street, Rhymni,, St Matthew's, High Street, Rhymni,, Rhymni, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Tredelerch / Rumney area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Rumney Parish; Statistics; Area 3375 acres; Population 161 males, 147 females, total 308
- Rumney Parish Church Attendance - (average) morning 14 + 6 scholars, afternoon 5 "Probably many more than usual attended the Church service on this day, the 30th March inst., at this church, being desirous to show themselves to be Protestant Church people especially in opposition to Roman Catholic dangerous errors" 1 service in Welsh William Jones, Minister
- Gilead, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1845 Attendance - morning 39, evening 34 Edward Thomas, Chapel Steward, Gardener
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Tredelerch / Rumney which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Tredelerch / Rumney has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST220792 (Lat/Lon: 51.506280, -3.125283), Tredelerch / Rumney which are provided by: