RUMNEY, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"RUMNEY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 3 miles N.E. of Cardiff, its post town, and 9 S.W. of Newport. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Rumney, which flows 30 miles S. to the Bristol Channel, through a mineral valley, traversing the Brecon and Glamorganshire borders. The river is navigable for small craft, and the London road to Milford passes through the parish.
There are quarries of building-stone. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value £86, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, has an embattled tower. On an eminence overlooking the river is an ancient encampment surrounded by a fosse."