Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Drenewydd Gelli-Farch / Shire Newton
"SHIRE-NEWTON, a parish in the upper division of Caldicott hundred, county Monmouth, 4 miles W. of Chepstow, its post town, and 10 from Usk. It is situated on an eminence overlooking a fertile valley. It was formerly of more importance than at present. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £310, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Thomas-a-Becket. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Evans, J Daryll. From Shirenewton to Llandaff : Bishop Bleddyn's reforms. Gwent Local History 76 1994 Welsh Journals Online
- Webster, Janet. A bronze head of Mars from Shirenewton, Gwent. Britannia 21 (1990), p. 295-7.
- Earlswood Methodist Church (United Methodist), Earlswood Com, Earlswood Methodist Church (United Methodist), Ear, Earlswood Common, Other
- Friends' Meeting House And Burial Ground (Religious Society , Friends' Meeting House And Burial Ground (Religiou, Shirenewton, Other
- Gaerllwydd Baptist Chapel, Gaer-Llwydd, Gaerllwydd Baptist Chapel, Gaer-Llwydd, Gaer-Llwydd, Other
- Hope Bible Christian Chapel (Earlswood), Earlswood, Hope Bible Christian Chapel (Earlswood), Earlswood, Earlswood, Other
- Shirenewton Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Shirenewton Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Shirenewton, Other
- St Thomas A Becket's Church, St Thomas A Becket's Church, Shirenewton, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Drenewydd Gelli-Farch / Shire Newton area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Shire-Newton Parish; Statistics; Area 3544 acres; Population 508 males, 425 females, total 933
- Shirenewton Parish Church Attendance - morning 78 + 37 scholars, afternoon 92 + 24 scholars 2 services in English Edward Inwood Jones, Rector
- Wesleyan Chapel Erected c 1825 Attendance - evening 70 Zechariah Jones, Steward
- Bible Christians, Mynydd Bach Erected 1850 Attendance - morning 8, afternoon 18, evening 11 James Penny, Steward
- Earlswood Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1799 Attendance - afternoon 80 John James, Steward
- Mount Zion, Gaerlwyd, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1842 Attendance - morning 37 scholars, afternoon 69 "A Day School held within the chapel commencing March 31 1851" Edward Jones, Member, Caerlwyd
- Fishers Place, Bible Christians "This is a cottage in which there has been Religious Service for the last 10 or 12 years" Attendance - evening 30 William Powell, Steward
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Drenewydd Gelli-Farch / Shire Newton which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST478935 (Lat/Lon: 51.637825, -2.755713), Drenewydd Gelli-Farch / Shire Newton which are provided by: