YNYSGYNWRAIDD / SKENFRITH, Monmouthshire
"SKENFRETH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 6 miles N.W. of Monmouth, and 24 from Hereford. The village, which is small and chiefly agricultural, is situated at the bridge over the river Monnow. In the vicinity is the ruin of Skenfreth Castle. It was of trapezium form, encircled by a curtain wall of immense thickness, and defended by six towers and a circular keep, but of which nothing now remains but the outer wall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value £215. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to St. Bridget, and has several stained windows."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Bradney, Joseph A. Sir.
A history of Monmouthshire : from the coming of the Normans into Wales down to the present time / Pt.1,; The hundred of Skenfrith. London : Mitchell Hughes and Clarke , 1904. 144p.
- Buckland, Kirstie.
The Skenfrith Cope and its companions. Oxford] : [Pasold Research Fund], 1983. Reprint from: Textile history, 14 (2), 1983. Includes bibliographical references.
- Churches and castles within the Grosmont, Skenfrith, and White Castle trilateral. Cross Ash, Gwent] : Cross Ash School,  20p.
- Guide to Monmouth and the various objects of interest in and around it : including brief historical and descriptive notices of Monmouth, Raglan, Whitecastle, Skenfrith, and Grosmont Castles, Tintern Abbey, &c.. Monmouth : published by R. Waugh, [18--?] 77p.
- Hopson, Mary.
The Roman Catholic burial ground and former church at Coed Anghred, Skenfrith, Gwent. [Llanrothal, Monmouth] : Tregate Press,  192p.
- Knight, Jeremy K.
The three castles : Grosmont Castle, Skenfrith Castle, White Castle, Hen Gwrt medieval moated site. Cardiff : Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments , 2000. 48p.
- Levett, F G.
The story of Skenfrith, Grosmont and St. Maughans with excursions to Llangattock-Vibon-Avel and Llanrothal. F.G. Levett, 1984. 250 leaves.
- Maddock, M J.
St. Bridget's Church, Skenfrith : historical notes. [Skenfrith] : St. Bridget's Church, 19--?]. 4p.
- Portrait of a parish : Skenfrith. Gwent Family History Society Journal. No. 70 (June 2003), p. 9-10.
- Remfry, Paul M.
Skenfrith Castle 1066 to 1449. Malvern Link : S.C.S. Publishing, c2000. 47p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Skenfrith Parish; Statistics, Area 4720 acres; Population 320 males, 299 females, total 619
- St Bridget Skenfrith Parish Church Attendance - morning 70 + 60 scholars, afternoon 39 + 31 scholars 2 services in English "It is worthy of remark that March 30th 1851 was the day called here Mothering Sunday (or Mid-Lent) when the farmers, lower orders etc, visit their parents or nearest relatives and dine etc together, seldom attending church as usual, hence the congregation was below the average." Stephen Cattley Baker, Vicar
- St Mary's Church, Coedangryd, Roman Catholic Erected 1846 Attendance - morning c 40, afternoon c 13 Thomas Abbot, MA, Roman Catholic Priest, Coedangryd, Cottage, Skenfrith
- Norton Skenfrith Particular Baptists Erected 1845 Attendance -
morning 60, evening 110 "It is useless for me to attempt to have a Sunday
School in winter owing to the distance the children have to
come........" Thomas Richards, Baptist Minister, Great Llanlliweth,
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in
The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Ynysgynwraidd / Skenfrith, St Bridget's Church - records with the NLW
|1639-1745 with gaps, 1751-65, 1767-1925, 1928
||1639-1731 with gaps, 1755-1837
||1639-1745 with gaps, 1751-65, 1767-1917
||1726-84, 1786-7, 1789-1860 - records with the NLW
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 15 April 2011)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.