Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"ST. ARVANS, a parish partly in the upper division of the hundred of Caldicott, partly in the upper division of the hundred of Ragland, in the county of Monmouth, 2 miles to the N.W. of Chepstow. It is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Wye, which bounds the parish on the N.E., and contains the hamlet of Portcasseg. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £53, in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort. There are ruins of two chapels, which were dedicated to SS. Kingsmark and Lawrence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Tales of the people of old St. Arvans. Chepstow : Village Books, c1990. 304p
- Williams, David H. Rogerstone Grange, St. Arvan's. Monmouthshire Antiquary 15 (1999), p. 22-32.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
St Arvans Parish; Statistics; Area 2309 acres; Population 198 males, 234 females, total 432
- St Arvans Parish Church Attendance - none given 2 services in English William Francis Cresswell
- Independent Erected 1849 Attendance - average 80 No Sunday School Rev Thomas Rees of Chepstow, Minister; Henry Smith, Deacon, Prospect Cottage, Crossway Green, Chepstow
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
St Arvans, St Arvan's Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1725-47, 1749-56, 1758-1824, 1826-70 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of St Arvans which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST517965 (Lat/Lon: 51.665146, -2.699777), St Arvans which are provided by: