Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanfocha / St Maughans
"ST. MAUGHAN'S, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 6 miles N.W. of Monmouth. The village is a small rustic place. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed with that of Llanfaenor to the vicarage* of Llangattock-Vibon-Avell."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Levett, F G. The story of Skenfrith, Grosmont and St. Maughans with excursions to Llangattock-Vibon-Avel and Llanrothal. F.G. Levett, 1984. 250 leaves.
- Mission Hall, Mission Hall, Mission Hall, Mission Hall, St Maughans Green, Other
- St Maughans Church, St Maughans, St Maughans Church, St Maughans, St Maughans, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Llanfocha / St Maughans area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
St Maughan's Parish; Statistics; Area 1304 acres; Population 101 males, 92 females, total 193
- St Maughan's Parish Church Attendance - afternoon 62 1 service in English William Vaughan Yarworth, Officiating Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Llanfocha / St Maughans which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO461171 (Lat/Lon: 51.849838, -2.783939), Llanfocha / St Maughans which are provided by: