We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llaneirwg / St Mellons
"ST. MELLONS, a parish in the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 3½ miles N.N.E. of Cardiff, and 7 S.W. of Newport. It is situated on the river Romney, and is a small agricultural village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value with the curacy of Llanedarn, £160, in the patronage of the bishop and chapter, who, with the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, are the appropriators. The church is an ancient structure. The charities produce about £15 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Bielski, Alison - The story of St Mellons. Port Talbot : Alun, c1985. 114p.
- Blockley, Kevin - Archaeological notes: 'The Ton', St Mellons, Cardiff (ST 2280 8131). Morgannwg, 41 (1997), 81-85.
- Magor and St Mellons Rural District Official Guide. Carshalton : Home Publishing,  24p
- Neal, Marjorie et al. - Rumney & St Mellons, A History of two Villages. Compiled by Marjorie Neal, Sylvia Atherton, Marilyn Nurse, Allen Hambly & Sam Parker. First published: August 2005. © 2005 Rumney and District Local History Society. Information provided by Robert Gatheridge.
- Phillips, Roger - From London to St. Mellons in 1809. Gwent Local History 64 (1988), p. 23-6
- Williams, Russell - St. Mellons Baptist Church, 1794-1994: tracing the history of the church in its bicentenary year. Evangelical Magazine of Wales, 33/3 (1994), p. 12-13.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
St Mellons Parish; Statistics; Area 2574 acres; Population 324 males, 313 females, total 637
- St Mellons Parish Church Attendance - morning 27 2 (?) services, 1 in Welsh Edward Jenkins, Vicar
- Bethania, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1820 Attendance - morning 109, afternoon 70, evening 141 Philp Roberts, Deacon, Mill Farm
- Soar, Independent Erected 1837 Attendance - morning 31, afternoon 30 scholars, evening 60 Thomas Jones, Minister
- Caersalem Baptist Erected 1830 Attendance - morning 90 + 60 scholars, evening 200 David Evans, Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Llaneirwg / St Mellons, St Mellon's Church - records with the NLW
||1717-20 in PR Llanedern/Llanedeyrn (GLA)
||1725-75, 1777-1844, 1846-61, 1864-9 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Llaneirwg / St Mellons which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llaneirwg / St Mellons has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST229813 (Lat/Lon: 51.525282, -3.112778), Llaneirwg / St Mellons which are provided by: