We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Casnewydd / Newport
"ST. WOOLLOS, a parish in the upper division of Wentllooge hundred, county Monmouth, containing the western portion of the town and borough of Newport."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- W.A.R.(author). St. Woolos' Cathedral, Newport, and the age of the Saints : (6th-8th centuries).Newport : St. Woolos Cathedral, 1988. 1 leaflet.
- A history of Newport. Newport, Gwent : Newport Borough Council,  32p.
- Berry, Stephen. 100 years of worship at London Street, Newport, 1890-1990 : a short historical survey. Newport, Gwent : Emmanuel Congregational Church, 1990. 16p.
- Bibliography of Newport Borough. Cwmbran : Gwent County Library, 1986. 326p.
- Buckingham, Mike. Through the century's eye : pictures of Newport 1850 to 1939 : from the collection of Newport Museum and Art Gallery : a personal selection by Mike Buckingham and Richard Frame.pictures of Newport 1850 to 1939 : from the collection of Newport Museum and Art Gallery. Newport : Borough of Newport, [1997?] 77p.
- College, Nash Newport - Its River and Wharves Gwent Local History vol 43 1977 Welsh Journals Online
- Davis, Jack. One hundred years of Newport rugby. Risca : Starling Press Ltd, 1974. 283p.
- Dawson, Alex. Newport, West of the river. Stroud : Chalford Publishing, 1995. 128p.
- Evans, J A H The Hanging of Mary Morgan Gwent Local History. No. 92 2002 Welsh Journals Online
- Evans, John L. The Viking raid on St. Woolos. Gwent Local History. No. 90 2001 Welsh Journals Online
- Fletcher, J Kyrle Newport in 1774: a ballad by Edward Senior of Newport Gwent Local History vol 85 1998 Welsh Journals Online
- Freeman, David. Tredegar House, Newport, Gwent. Newport : Newport Borough Council, Leisure Services Department, [1982?] 31p.
- Gray, Madeleine. Bradney and the hundred of Newport. Gwent Local History vol 62 1987 Welsh Journals Online
- Gray, Madeleine. Bradney's 'Hundred of Newport'. Gwent Local History 74 1993 Welsh Journals Online
- Heaton, P M. The 'Usk' ships. : history of a Newport shipping venture. Risca : Starling Press, 1982. 88p.
- Hockey, Primrose. Newport and Monmouthshire Literary Club. Gwent Local History 65 (1988), p. 26-9.
- Holt, Gillian The Westgate Hotel, Newport Gwent Local History 67 1989 Welsh Journals Online
- Hornsey, Brian. Ninety years of cinema in Newport (Gwent). Stamford : Fuchsiaprint, c1994. 12p.
- Images of Newport. Derby : Breedon Books, 1995. 192p.
- Johns, W N. Historical traditions and facts relating to Newport and Caerleon. Newport : Printed and published by W. N. Johns, 1880. 86p.
- Johnson, Malcolm A brief document in time: the Cordes nail factory in Newport, and the proclamation of 1839 Gwent Local History vol 101 2006 Welsh Journals Online
- Jones, David. The last rising : the Newport insurrection of 1839. Oxford : Clarendon Press, 1985,1986(printing) 273p.
- Jones, David. Newport Transporter Bridge : a pictorial history. Zaltbommel ; Cwmbran : European Library in association with Gwent County Council, c1994. 78p.
- Jones, Herbert Godfrey . Memories of Newport Castle as a brewery. Gwent Local History 65 1988 Welsh Journals Online
- Jones, Jean. Life in Newport around the 1st World War and twenties. Gwent Family History Society Journal 37 (1994), p. 46-7.
- Jones, J Gwynfor The National Eisteddfod of Wales at Newport (1897) and Welsh Cultural Life in Gwent Gwent Local History 67 1989 Welsh Journals Online
- Jones, Keith B. The religious climate of the Chartist insurrection at Newport, Monmouthshire, 4th November, 1839 : expressions of evangelicalism. Journal of Welsh Religious History 5 (1997), p. 57-71.
- Jukes, Tony The Walfords: the worst fences in Newport Gwent Local History. No. 92 2002 Welsh Journals Online
- Knight, Cliff V. Pillgwenlly, Newport. Newport : Starling, c1983. 133p.
- Knight, Jeremy K. Newport Castle. Monmouthshire Antiquary 7 (1991), p. 17-42.
- Langmead, Donald The Mild Colonial Boy: R G Thomas, Architect of Newport Gwent Local History 69 1990 Welsh Journals Online
- Lewis, C Roy. Housing areas in the industrial town : a case study of Newport, Gwent, 1850-1880. National Library of Wales Journal 24 (1985/86), p. 118-46.
- Lewis, C J Pitt John Frost's Birthday Gwent Local History vol 58 1985 Welsh Journals Online
- Lovering, G W J Thomas Powell of the Gaer, Newport (1780?-1863) Gwent Local History vol 84 1998 Welsh Journals Online
- Lovering, G W J Nonconformity in the Town of Newport Gwent Local History vol 88 2000 Welsh Journals Online
- Maggs, Colin. Newport trams. Dorset : Oakwood Press, 1977. 60p.
- Matthews, James. Historic Newport. Newport, Gwent : Newport County Borough Council, 1996. 266p.
- Millinship, William & Jeffrey Spittal. Thomas and Tom Spittle: Newport ironmasters 1854-1940. Gwent Local History 83 1997 Welsh Journals Online
- Newport County Football Club 1912-1960. Stroud : Chalford, 1997. 128p.
- Newport neighbourhoods. Newport : Gwent College of Higher Education, 1982. 64p.
- Osmond, David After the rising: Chartism in Newport, 1840/48 Gwent Local History. No. 98 2005 Welsh Journals Online
- Roderick, Alan. The tower that Jasper built : [St. Woolos' Cathedral]. Country Quest 30/10 (1990), p. 8-9.
- Roderick, Alan. The pubs of Newport. Newport, Newport : Handpost, 1997. 265p.
- Roderick, Alan. Newport kaleidoscope. Newport, Gwent : Handpost, c1994. 238p.
- Smith, C E Castell Newydd ar Wysg: A New Castle on the Usk Gwent Local History. No. 95 2003 Welsh Journals Online
- Smith, T G A Customs History of the Port of Newport Gwent Local History vol 46 1979 Welsh Journals Online & Conclusion Gwent Local History vol 47 1979 Welsh Journals Online
- St. Julian's Methodist Church, Newport, Gwent : 90th anniversary 1902-1992. 1992. 12p.
- The County Borough of Newport, Monmouthshire, visitors guide. Cheltenham : Burrow, 
- Thomas, David B. Trams and buses of Newport, 1845 to 1981 : a complete history of street public transport in Newport, Gwent, South Wales. Risca : Starling Press, 1982. 104p.
- Thomas, E A. Newport transport : 80 years of service. Newport (Newport, Wales) : Newport Borough Council 1981.48p.
- Thomas, Keith Memories of 'Gwent College for Boys'; the Gaer and the Firs, Newport, 1924 - 1970 Gwent Local History. No. 91 2001 Welsh Journals Online
- Underwood, Terry. "The way we were" in Newport : a pictorial record of Newport from the beginning of the century up to nineteen fifty : a collection of photographs and memories of the town and its people of yesteryear. Newport, Gwent : Terry Underwood, 1981. 189p.
- Underwood, Terry. Once upon a time in Newport. Newport, Gwent : Terry Underwood, 1995. 271p.
- Underwood, Terry. Time to remember, time to forget : the story of Newport in the war years. Newport, Gwent : Terry Underwood, 1996. 131p.
- Vaughan, Derrick C. Newport, first stop : 1800-1900. Newport, Gwent : D.C. Vaughan, 1990. 310p.
- Williams, Chris. History, heritage and commemoration : Newport, 1839-1989. Llafur 6/1 (1992), p. 5-16.
- Wilson, John. Art and society in Newport : James Flewitt Mullock and the Victorian achievement. Newport, Gwent : Newport Museum and Art Gallery, c1993. 69p.
- Wybron, Norman. The Chartists of Blaenau Gwent : an account of the part they played in the march in Newport on the 3rd-4th November 1839. [Newport] : Kerin Publications, 1989. 49p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
St Woollos Parish consisting of St Woollos and the Borough of Newport; Statistics; Area 3854 acres; Population 10,536 males, 9743 females, total 20279
- St Woollos
- St Woollos Parish Church Usual number of attendants 200 2 services in English Unsigned
- Pillgwenlly School Room (District of St Paul) Erected by Rowley Lascelles Esq (no date) Used as a temporary place of worship in connection with the Church of England Attendance - morning 50 + 75 scholars, evening 160 "This small school room is to be replaced shortly with a church to hold 660 people " Henry Wybrow, Perpetual Curate of St Paul's
- Wesleyan Chapel, Pillgwenlly Erected 1828 Attendance - 152 + 51 scholars, evening 244 Frederick Payne, Minister
- Baptist Chapel, Commercial Rd Erected 1843 Attendance - morning 200 + 117 scholars, evening 300 +117 scholars David Edwards, Minister
- Bible Christian Chapel, Commercial Rd Erected 1840 Attendance - morning 71, evening 84 James (Illegible), Trustee, No 6 Portland St
- Wesleyan Reformers, Pillgwenlly Erected 1850 (Not used exclusively as a place of worship) Attendance - morning 65 + 110 scholars, evening 160 + 50 scholars "This Congregation consists mainly of Wesleyans who have been expelled for disputing about matters of Discipline in Methodism" John Cole, Local Preacher and Tenant, Pillgwenlly
- Trinity Chapel, Pillgwenlly English Independents Erected 1844 Attendance - morning 15 + 32 scholars, evening 30 + 15 scholars Alexander Bowman, A member, No 10 Portland St
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints held at Sunderland Hall, Llanarth St Rented from Oct 1847 Morning 60, afternoon 200, evening 400 No scholars Jacob Jones, Preseident, Thos. Roberts, Shoemaker, Top of Caroline St, Newport
- Ebenezer Chapel, Commercial St, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1839 Attendance - morning 260, afternoon 98, evening 201 Phillip John, Deacon, 169 Commercial St
- English Baptist Chapel, Commercial St Erected 1829 Attendance - morning 350 + 82 scholars, afternoon 183 scholars, evening 550 "Mothering Sunday, a Welsh Festival or custom causes a small attendance today" William Allen, Minister, Storr Hill
- See also 2 entries below which show St Woollos as their parish
- Newport Borough
- St Paul District Church Consecrated 1836 to supply the spritual want of an increasing population.... total cost c £7000 Attendance - morning 756 + 100 scholars, afternoon 128, evening 660 3 services in English Henry Wybrow, Perpetual Curate
- St Marie's Catholic Church (St Woollos) Erected 1839 Attendance - morning Mass 400, 2 Do 900, afternoon 200, evening 700 Dominick (? Martin), Parish Priest
- Hope Chapel, Commercial St, Congregational Independent Erected originally before 1810, in its present form in 1814 Attendance - morning 179 + 117 scholars, afternoon 189 scholars, evening 210 John Barfield, B.A, Minister, 20 Llanarth St
- No Name or Title (elsewhere listed as Plymouth Brethren) at 34 Llanarth St Building not used exclusively as a place of worship Attendance - morning 19, evening 19 "In some parts of England we are known by the designation "Brethren" " John Skinner, An Elder
- Tabernacle Chapel, Congregational or Independent Erected 1822 Attendance - morning 278 + 85 scholars, afternoon 148 scholars, evening 513 Thomas Gillman, Minister, No 5 Great Dock St
- Mariners' Church, Canal Side, Newport Used by all Dissenting Denominations Erected 1827 Attendance - (average) afternoon 50 "The place is fitted up entirely with benches, all free sittings, and the ministers of the various congregations alternately and gratuitously" Thomas Turner, Secretary, Commercial Rd
- Mill St Chapel, Independents Erected more than 200 years ago Attendance - morning 14+ 6 scholars, evening 40 + 10 scholars Lewis Edwards, Deacon, Bro-dawel, Nr Newport
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Commercial St (St Woollos) Erected originally 1808, present building on same site in 1850 Attendance - morning 240 + 40 scholars, evening 390 Edward William Jones, Chapel Steward, Glan Mor
- Mount Zion Chapel, Hill St, Newport, Independent Erected 1835 Attendance morning 156, afternoon 78 scholars, evening 189 Griffith Griffiths, Minister
- Welsh Baptist Chapel, Charles St, Newport Erected 1817 Attendance - morning 280, afternoon 150 scholars, evening 300 (..."average attendance must be something more) William Thomas, Minister
- Wesleyan Chapel of the Free Church or Reform Wesleyans, Hill St Erected 1832 and undergoing enlargement at the present time Attendance - morning 145, afternoon 70 scholars, evening 249 "This congregation is one formed of persons who have been expelled from the old Wesleyan body in consequence of their disapproval of the acts of the Conference in the year 1849 and also of persons who have retired with them together with such as have since joined them" James Ewins, Senior Local Preacher and Class Leader, 13 High St
- Latter Day Saints Chapel Not a separate and entire building Usual number - morning 100 + above 30 scholars, afternoon 100, evening 160 + about 30 scholars Informant; no signature
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
|Casnewydd / Newport, St Woolos's Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1725-75, 1777-1837, 1843-50, 1852-87 - records with the NLW
|Casnewydd / Newport, St Matthew's Church (formed from St John Evangelist 1911) - records with the Gwent RO
|Casnewydd / Newport, St Paul's Church (formed from St Woolos 1839) - records with the Gwent RO
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary] selected parish records.
|Casnewydd / Newport, St Stephen's Church (formed from Holy Trinity 1921) - records with the Gwent RO
You can see pictures of Casnewydd / Newport which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Casnewydd / Newport has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST309877 (Lat/Lon: 51.583857, -2.998740), Casnewydd / Newport which are provided by: