We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Tryleg / Trelleck
"TRELLECK, a parish in the upper division of Ragland hundred, county Monmouth, 4½ miles a of Monmouth, its post town, and 8 from Chepstow. The village is situated near Beacon Hill, on the road from Monmouth to Chepstow, and has a mineral spring. The parish contains the chapelry of Trelleck Grange, and is so called from a group of monoliths near the village, supposed to be the remains of some Druidical monument."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Bradney, Joseph A. Sir. A history of Monmouthshire from the coming of the Normans into Wales down to the present time / Vol. 2,; [Part 2],; [The Hundred of Raglan and the Hundred of Trelech].; The Hundred of Trelech..London : Mitchell, Hughes and Clarke, 1913.
- Dawson, Derek. Village steeped in history and mystery : [Trelleck, Gwent]. Country Quest 30/1 (1989), p. 22-3
- Howell, Raymond. Excavations at Trelech : 1996-1999. Monmouthshire Antiquary 16 (2000), p. 131-46.
- Howell, Raymond. Excavations at Trelech, Gwent, 1991-93 : an investigation of a decayed medieval urban settlement. Monmouthshire Antiquary 11 (1995), p. 71-86.
- St Nicholas's Church, Trelech : a short history. Trelech : St. Nicholas's Church, [1985?] 7p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Trelleck Parish excluding Trelleck Grange chapelry; Statistics; Area 5287 acres; Population 551 males, 477 females, total 988
- Trelleck Parish Church Attendance - morning 20 + 76 scholars, afternoon 30 2 services in English "Many parishioners residing some miles distant from the Parish Church attend other churches in their vicinity; others are Dissenters" Charles A F Kuper, M.A., Vicar
- Parkhouse Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1835 Attendance - (average) afternoon 100 Henry Prichard, Trustee, Abbey Tintern
- Siloam Chapel, Bible Christians Erected 1829 Attendance - afternoon 38 + 24 scholars Samuel Morgan, Manager
- Zion Chapel, Catbrook, Primitive Methodist Erected 1844 Attendance - general congregation 80/100 William Milton, Steward
- Ebenezer Chapel, Bible Christians Erected 1838 Attendance - (average) afternoon 30 John Kemyes, Manager
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Tryleg / Trelleck which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Tryleg / Trelleck has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO500054 (Lat/Lon: 51.745013, -2.725634), Tryleg / Trelleck which are provided by: