"TREVETHAN, a parish in the upper division of Abergavenny hundred, county Monmouth, 7 miles from Usk, and 1 mile from Pontypool. It is situated near the Brecon and Monmouthshire canals and the river Afon Llwyd. The parish contains the townships of Aberyschan, Pontnewydd, and Pont-y-pool, the last being a polling place for the county and a petty sessions town. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries, lime-pits, and extensive iron-works, chiefly at Pont-y-pool [which see]."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Foster, Brian Prize fighting in the Eastern Valley Gwent Local History. No. 96 2004 Welsh Journals Online
Greene, W H. An extinct manufacture : the old Pontypool Japan-ware. St. Sampson : Toucan, 1986. 14p.
John, W D. Pontypool and Usk japanned wares. Newport : Ceramic Book Company, 1966.
Kenrick, G S. The population of Pontypool and the parish of Trevethin ... : a lecture delivered on Tuesday evening, March 17, 1840 at the Mechanics Institution, Pontypool. London : Simpkin, Marshall, & Co., 1840. 41p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Trevethin Parish (With Pontypool); Statistics; Area 11329 acres; Population 8720 males, 8144 females, total 16864
St James' Chapel A Chapel of Ease consecrated 1821 in lieu of previously existing one.........." Attendance - morning 160, evening 320 2 services in English George Jones, Curate
Talywaun, Abersychan A Church or Chapel of Abersychan Consecrated 1832 as a new Church Attendance - morning 98 + 92 scholars, afternoon 146 scholars, evening c 300 ".....Yesterday's attendance at Church was less than usual [because of] ....... the Mid Lent Sunday custom of visiting parents etc ..... [also] many come from a distance, attendance not so large in winter ........ [also] the present depression in the Iron Trade. Not long since there were 12 Blast Furnaces working in this District, now there are only 7 and this according to the common computation would mean a difference from two to three thousand persons in the District, including workmen and their families." 2 services in English Thomas Bluett, BA., Perpetual Curate
Trevethin Parish Church ".... this church entirely rebuilt in 1847......" Attendance - morning 400 + 200 scholars, afternoon 250 scholars, evening 500 (in a licensed Schoolroom) 1 service in English "In the morning and afternoon Divine Services are performed at the Parish Church, but in the evening at a licensed schoolroom in the town of Pontypool, but all the Congregations are those of the Church of England....." Thomas Davies, M.A., Incumbent Minister
Pontnewynydd District Parish under provisions of 6 and 7 Victoria c37 An additional church consecrated 1844 Attendance - morning 300 + 70 scholars, evening 380 + 25 scholars 1 chapel, 2 services both in English Owen T H Phillips, Incumbent Minister [see below]
Pontnewynydd, Church of England Erected in 1840 Attendance - morning 280 + 100 scholars, evening 360 + 30 scholars Informant ; Owen T H Phillips [Are these 2 entries for the same church ?]
School Room, High St, Pontypool Church of England Erected 1838 Accommodation for 500 "Always full to overflow ... " Informant; Thomas Davies, M.A. (officiating Minister of the Town School room which is not a church but only a licensed room for Divine Worship)
St Alban's Catholic Church, Pontypool Erected 1846 Attendance - morning 280, afternoon 50 William L Woollett, Catholic Priest
English Wesleyan Chapel Pontypool Erected 1814 Attendance - morning 160 + 50 scholars, evening 350 + 50 scholars George Burgess, Trustee and Steward
Tabernacle Chapel, Penygarn, Pontypool Particular Baptist Erected 1835 Attendance - morning 200 + 40 scholars, afternoon 118 scholars, evening 320 "This church was formed in the C17th and in 1727 a chapel was built about half a mile out of Town called Penygarn. In consequence of the distance the present place was erected in Town, the old chapel still remaining with a large burying ground attached" Benjamin Jones, Senior Deacon, Grocer etc, Trosnant, Pontypool
Sardis, Trosnant, Pontypool, Independent Chapel Erected before 1800, rebuilt 1823 Attendance - morning 160 + 30 scholars Herbert Daniel, Minister, Cefn-y-crib, near Pontypool
Noddfa Chapel, Trefethin, Baptist. Erected 1846 Attendance - (average) morning 274 + 200 scholars, evening 274 + 200 scholars ".....disproportion between actual and average attendance - [reason is] the present stagnation of Abersychan Iron Works and the consequent poverty of the population andn the removal of others to their localities" Edward Roberts, Minister, Talywaen, near Pontypool
Rehoboth, Cranes St, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Erected c 1821 Attendance - morning 116, afternoon 105 scholars, evening 136 "The services are held in Welsh (except occasionally in English) .... with 2 services in the week...." William Brown, Minister, Penytranch, Pontypool
Trosnant Chapel, Pontypool, Baptist Erected 1776 Attendance - morning 266 + 60 scholars, afternoon 103 scholars, evening 290 "There is another Sunday School in connection with this chapel held at the Race, in the parish of Panteague............." David Lloyd Isaac, Minister
Zion Chapel, Trosnant, Baptist Erected 1844 Attendance - morning 250 + 80 scholars, afternoon 130 scholars, evening 350 "Believing the principles of Nonconformists to be in accordance with the New Testament we hail their progress and dissemination and cannot refrain expressing an opinion that the Union of Church and State forms a barrier thereto." Joseph Davies, Trustee, Albion Rd, Pontypool
Capel-yr-Ynys Chapel, Independent Erected 1832 Attendance - morning 61, afternoon 63 scholars, evening 80 Herbert Daniel, Minister, Cefn y crib, near Pontypool
Bible Christians, Pontnymynydd Attendance - morning 21, evening 40 William Gilbert, Minister, at Mr Hodges', Grocer, Pontypool
Baptist Chapel Erected 'since 1800' Attendance - afternoon 64 + 92 scholars Llewellyn Thomas, Son of the Minister, Baptist College, Pontypool
Independents Room, Abersychan Began 1850 Attendance - morning 30 scholars, afternoon 55 + 38 scholars, evening 70 scholars Benjamin Nicholas, Superintendant, British Iron Works
Varteg Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1829 Attendance - morning 57, evening 21 David Williams, Society Steward, Garnddifaith
Pisgah, Particular Baptists Erected 18?7 Attendance - morning 314, afternoon 216 scholars, evening 480 "The reason of the falling off of our Congregation is the depression that has been (in) the Iron Trade. Four of the furnaces in the British Works going out of blast" William Thomas, Minister, Talywaun
English Particular Baptist Chapel, Abersychan Erected 1827 Attendance - morning 150 + 120 scholars, evening 270 "A day school has been kept in the Vestry" Informant; Rev Stephen Price, Baptist Minister, Abersychan
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO282021 (Lat/Lon: 51.712974, -3.040663), Trefddyn / Trevethin which are provided by: