We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"AMBLESTON, a parish, in the union of HAVERFORDWEST, hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (N.N.E.) from Haverfordwest containing 605 inhabitants. . . The lands in this parish are, with a very trifling exception, all enclosed, and the soil is in general fertile; the rateable annual value being returned at £970. 10. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at £3. 19. 4. 1/2. , endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant; present net income, £183; it is in the gift of the crown; impropriator, Lloyd Phillips, Esq. The Church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a chapel of ease in the parish, called Rinaston chapel. The Calvinistic Methodists have a place of worship here. In a day school 26 children are instructed at the expense of their parents; and a Sunday school, consisting of 88 males and 81 females, is supported by the Calvinistic Methodists."[From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464343
- 1851 Census - 0104238
- 1861 Census - 0543245
- 1871 Census - 0850858
- 1881 Census - 1342306
- 1891 Census - 6099650
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
- Ambleston Parish Church Jno Pugh, Vicar with duplicate return by Sam E Lloyd
- Woodstock CM Erected in 1754 Thomas Harries, Deacon, Henry's Moat
Parish entry for Ambleston with St Dogwells from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
- St Mary
- St Dogfael (St Dogwells)
- Incumbent and Curates; E H Saunders
- Rural Deanery of Dungleddy
- Acreage 4,072 & 3,417 ; Population 371 & 479
Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1765-1974) and Marriages (1776-1968) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies at Pem.RO.
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685, 1799-1862, 1864) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Woodstock, in Woodstock [Calvinistic Methodist, 1754]. Records ; 1. Births/baptisms 1811-1837, PRO RG4/3608 and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number GS 819967, IGI ; 2. Early society accounts- Cylchgrawn Cymdeithas Hanes : Eglwys Methodistiaid Calfiniaid Cymru[ The Journal of the Historical Society of the Presbyterian Church in Wales] Vol 19, p72.; 3. account book 1898-1911, NLW. On Dyfed FHS Woodstock CM chapel - still open in 2006
- Bethel Treamlod CM chapel, Ambleston SM99962577 Built 1881, altered or restored 1906 Coflein On Dyfed FHS Still open in 2006
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Description and Travel
Places, villages, farms etc within Ambleston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Ambleston (50); Ambleston, Bigws, Bill, Glan-dwr, Gwar y Coed, Headland, Hook Ho., Pant teg, Parc y Llyn, Rinaston, Scollock, Scollock Bill, Scollock Cross, Slouthy, Spittal Brook, Stradland, Wallis, Wallis Moor, Woodstock, Woodstock Slop, Woolen Mill.
You can see pictures of Ambleston which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Ambleston has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN001258 (Lat/Lon: 51.894767, -4.906734), Ambleston which are provided by: