"AMBLESTON, a parish, in the union of HAVERFORDWEST, hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (N.N.E.) from Haverfordwest containing 605 inhabitants. . . The lands in this parish are, with a very trifling exception, all enclosed, and the soil is in general fertile; the rateable annual value being returned at £970. 10. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at £3. 19. 4. 1/2. , endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant; present net income, £183; it is in the gift of the crown; impropriator, Lloyd Phillips, Esq. The Church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a chapel of ease in the parish, called Rinaston chapel. The Calvinistic Methodists have a place of worship here. In a day school 26 children are instructed at the expense of their parents; and a Sunday school, consisting of 88 males and 81 females, is supported by the Calvinistic Methodists."[From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Ambleston with St Dogwells from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1765-1974) and Marriages (1776-1968) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies at Pem.RO.
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685, 1799-1862, 1864) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Ambleston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1844.
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996