Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for AMROTH - from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1844)

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

AMROTH - from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1844)

AMROATH (AMBROTH, or AMROTH), a parish, in the hundred and union of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (S.E.) from Narberth; contains 779 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the western shore of Carmarthen bay, abounds with coal of a peculiarly fine quality, which, burning without smoke or any offensive smell, is much in request for the drying of malt and hops; for this purpose, considerable quantities are shipped from a place called Wiseman's Bridge, in vessels of fifty or sixty tons' burthen, and sent to Bristol, and other places on the banks of the Severn. This part of the bay is celebrated for salmon, cod, and flat fish, which are taken in abundance, and of which considerable quantities are sent for the supply of the market at Tenby, five miles distant. Iron-ore was formerly obtained in this parish, during the existence of the Pembrey Iron Company; but the operations have been suspended since the stoppage of their works. The rateable annual value has been returned at £1259. 4. 6. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at £3. 18. 6 1/2. , endowed with £600 royal bounty and £600 parliamentary grant; net income, £112; patron and impropriator, Charles Poyer Callen, Esq. The church dedicated to St. Elidyr, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a lofty embattled tower, and is well fitted up for the accommodation of the parishioners. A school, for the gratuitous instruction of an unlimited number of children of both sexes, is endowed with a bequest of the late D. Rees, Esq. , of the city of London, in 1789, who gave £20 per annum to this parish, of which £5, according to the will of the testator, are annually distributed among the most deserving of the poor, and the remainder appropriated to the maintenance of the school, in which at present there are about seventy-five children. The endowment amounts to £166. 13. 4. three per cent consols, vested in respectable trustees; and the school-room was erected by the parish. A Sunday school, which was commenced in 1822, and is supported by subscription, is also attended by 75 children of both sexes, most of whom participate in the benefits of the day school. In the vicinity of Amroth are several elegant seats, of which two are within the parish. Of these, Amroath Castle, originally either the residence of Cadwgan ab Bleddyn, Prince of Powys, or the site of his palace, and subsequently the seat of the family of the Elliots, at which period it was called Eare Weare, has been modernized into an elegant marine castellated villa, and is now the residence of the Rev. Thomas Shrapnel Biddulph. It was at this place that Cadwgan ab Bleddyn, according to some writers, gave a sumptuous banquet to the neighbouring chiefs, among whom was Gerald de Windsor, lord of Carew, and his wife Nesta, whom the son of Cadwgan afterwards carried of by force from the castle of Carew, as is noticed in the account of that place. Colby Lodge, an elegant mansion, the seat of Capt. Protheroe, is beautifully situated in a highly romantic dell, opening at one extremity towards the sea, of which it commands a fine and interesting view, and is enriched in other parts with scenery pleasingly varied, forming a beautiful and sequestered retreat.

Gareth Hicks, 15 Dec 1999