We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"ANGLE; or NANGLE, a parish, in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, union and county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 10 miles (W.) from Pembroke; containing 388 inhabitants. This place is situated at the south- western extremity of the county, and in an angle of Milford haven, affording excellent anchorage for small vessels. . . it comprises by computation about 2100 acres, of which 934 are arable, 788 pasture, 160 sandy burrows, 20 wood, and 195 cliff, waste, &c. . . The surface in some parts is hilly, and the scenery, both local and distant, picturesque and interesting, the eminences commanding beautiful and extensive views, embracing Milford haven, Bristol channel, &c. . . There is a good village, in which the chief part of the population resides. The female inhabitants are employed in plaiting straw for bonnets, hassocks, and matting; and, during the season, the men are occupied in dredging for oysters. . . The church, which is dedicated to St Mary . . . There is a day school, commenced in 1821, in which are about 50 children, the expense of whose instruction is defrayed by the parents; also a National Sunday school, begun in 1827, in which are 60 children, taught gratuitously by the master of the day school. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464342
  • 1851 Census - 0104234
  • 1861 Census - 0543243
  • 1871 Census - 0850854
  • 1881 Census - 1342304
  • 1891 Census - 6099641


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Angle area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph

Monkton Rectorial Benefice

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • St Mary's, Angle Parish Church         Thomas Dalton, Vicar
    "Remarks: The Parish of Angle comprises a Sinecure Rectory with a Good Glebe House & Garden, with three fourths of the tithes (Agricultural) leaving the Resident Vicar or Incumbent one fourth with 3 1/2 acres of Glebe. No habitable House of Residence without paying a high rent to the Proprietor and the performance of the whole duties of the Parish. The Population consists chiefly of Fishermen with their families including farm labourers' families employed by the Farmers in the neighbourhood or otherwise."

Parish entry from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Mary's
  • &
  • Seaman's Chapel
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Aubrey
  • Rural Deanery of Castlemartin
  • Acreage 2,310; Population 459

Church Records

PR ancient volumes reputedly destroyed by fire [1831 survey; cf Castlemartin]. A few entries C (1763-83) are in PR CB (1784-1812). PR CB (1779-85) is a draft register.

Parish registers: Christenings (1779-1993), Marriages (1755-1983), Banns (1856-1962) and Burials (1779-1993) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies at Pem.RO

Copy ts PR/BT Marriages (pre 1813) with index at NLW and Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685-6, 1799-1807, 1809-99) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105127.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:  

  • Baptist chapel, North Hill, Angle     SM86130352          By 1851, although a Baptist Home Missionary was resident, as yet no purpose-built chapel had been erected, the Missionary preaching in a cottage and in the open air (1851 ReligousCensus).           Coflein   

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Angle which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Angle parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by John Richards)

  • Angle (155) Angle, Angle Point, Bangeston, Broomhill Burrows, Castles Bay, Chapel Bay, East Pickard Bay, Gravel Bay, Guttle Hole, Hardingshill, Hubberton, Jeffersonwalls, Middlehill, North Hill, North Studdock, Parsonsquarry Bay, Rat Island, Sheep Island, South Studdock, Thorne Island, West Angle Bay, West Pickard Bay


Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1844.


Hughes, Basil. Jottings on the History of South Pembrokeshire - Llanstadwell Parish pre  1900 . ISBN 1 898687 03 X As well as including many names of people involved with the history of  Llanstadwell and Neyland - this also gives information about the  Newton/Craddock family of Newton Wear and Angle.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Angle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..


Hughes, Basil.  Jottings Pembrokeshire Angle,Bangeston, Eastington,Pwllcrochan and Rhoscrowther Parishes [Kindle Edition 2013]

Morris, Jeff. The history of the Angle lifeboats . Lifeboat Enthusiasts Society, c 1994 , 42pp

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Angle estate papers  1637-1954       "The Angle estate, Dale, Pembrokeshire, was the home of the Kinner family between the 17th and 19th centuries. Early in the 19th century, the estate was purchased by John Mirehouse of Brownslade, Pembrokeshire. By 1886, R. W. B. Mirehouse lived at Angle. The estate included Cheveralton Farm and Hubberton Farm. The Mirehouse family also owned the Golden Estate, Pembroke, and Wallaston Farm, Pembroke St Mary. .........................."


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM866029 (Lat/Lon: 51.684163, -5.088554), Angle which are provided by:

Merchant Marine

Angle Lifeboat Station

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Angle Lifeboat Station, records  1868-1992 (mainly 1868-1913)     "Records relating to Angle Lifeboat Station and to Colonel Mirehouse, 1868-1992, including minutes and cash books of the Milford Branch of RNLI, 1868-1901; RNLI, Angle Branch cash book, 1902-1910; ..............................."  
  • HM Coastguard Records    "including station book of Angle Station, 1924-1952..............."


[Gareth Hicks: 19 May 2014]