"BOSHERSTON, a parish, in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, union and county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles, (S. by W.) from Pembroke; containing 225 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated on the shore of the Bristol channel, by which it is bounded on the south, and the rocks on this part of the coast are, by the repeated action of the sea, worn into caverns of considerable depth, and of singular and romantic appearance. Of these Bosherton Meer, about a quarter mile from the sea, is the most remarkable: at the entrance it presents only a small opening on the surface of the ground, but gradually expands into a cavern of increasing depth, which has never yet been explored. Previously to the commencement of a storm, the confined air is greatly agitated, and the most terrific noises issue from the cavern: during the violence of the tempest immense columns of spray are occasionally thrown up to a great height. By far the greater part of this parish is inclosed and in a state of cultivation, but there is a considerable portion forming an expanse of open downs . . . The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a neat edifice . . . There is a small day school, in which 7 or 8 children are educated at the expense of their parents; also a Sunday school, containing about 25 children . . . A little to the east of Bosherton Meer, and also within the parish, is the hermitage of St. Gawen. . . The scenery around this sequestered spot is of the wildest and most romantic character . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Monkton Rectorial Benefice - St Michael and All Angels, Bosherston
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1670-1991), Marriages (1670-1752, 1754-1906), Burials (1670-1783, 1787-1990) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf/Fac copies at Pem.RO.
Copy ts PR CMB (1670-1991) arranged alphabetically at NLW and Pem.RO
Copy ts PR M (pre 1813) with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-87) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105129.
Indexes to the Parish Registers of the Stackpole group of parishes - Stackpole Elidor, St. Petrox, Bosherston and St. Twynnells
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Bosherston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by John Richards)
Bosherston War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site
Thomas, Patrick. Govan and the pirates : a holy man of the Pembrokeshire cliffs. In Cambria 1/4 (1998), p. 33-5
[Gareth Hicks: 31 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996