"BRAWDY, a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (E.) from St.David's, containing 768 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the turnpike road from Haverfordwest to St. David's, is, with the exception of a comparatively small portion, consisting of hills and moors, enclosed, and in a good state of cultivation. Jointly with the parish of Hayscastle, it constitutes the endowment of a prebend attached to the decanal stall in the cathedral church of St.David's, the deanery being annexed to the bishoprick. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Hayscastle annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £3.18. 9., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. David. There are two places of worship for Presbyterians, and one each for Independents and Methodists. It is related of the Rev. Mr. Wilcocks , the present respected vicar of this parish, that, prior to entering into holy orders, he paid two masters, during twelve years, out of his earnings by daily labour, to teach all the poor children of Brawdy and Hayscastle; and that the parishioners were so impressed with a sense of his meritorious conduct and love of learning, that he was ordained at their request. On Brawdy farm there is a rāth, or British encampment, defended by a triple rampart. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £249.3." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Brawdy with Hayscastle from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR CB (1783-1812) M (1754-1812) recorded in 1831 apparently lost. M (1813-37) and B (1813-82) were missing in 1933 and are also apparently lost. For some entries c1784 see PR Tre-groes/Whitchurch. Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back to 1764
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1915), Marriages (1837-1966), Banns (1935-60) and Burials (1882-1915) are at the Pembrokeshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1813-96) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1800, 1802, 1804-9, 1811-67, 1872-82, 1884-5, 1887-96) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105130.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
RAF Brawdy - on Wikipedia
Places, villages, farms etc within Brawdy parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
Jones, Francis. Rickeston and Scotsborough: a study in family history (NLW's site) Pemb Historian Vol II
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Held at the NLW ;
Jones, Francis Major Castle Villa - Cas Wilia The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 7 1981 Welsh Journals Online
[Gareth Hicks: 28 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996