GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

BURTON

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"BURTON, a parish, in the hundred of RHOS, union and county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (N.) from Pembroke, on the road from that town to Haverfordwest by Burton Ferry; containing 846 inhabitants. This parish is situated on Milford haven, and abounds with scenery in every part interesting and occasionally picturesque. Among the most interesting objects in the vicinity are the remains of Burton castle, on the western shore of the haven, probably erected by some of the Normans, as a border fortress for the protection of the territory which they had acquired on this part of the coast. It does not appear to have been originally of very great extent; and the present ruins, which, from their situation on the margin of an estuary of Milford haven, have a truly picturesque appearance, consist principally of a lofty round tower, which rising above the thriving plantations in the vicinity, forms a conspicuous feature in the landscape. . . A handsome and commodious parsonage-house was erected by the Rev. D. Bird Allen, the late incumbent. The church is a neat plain building, with a square tower at the west end. There are two places of worship for Baptists, and one for Wesleyan Methodists. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Cemeteries

Monumental Inscriptions for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 1471282

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

Thomas, Grenville. The history of Galilee Baptist Church, Llangwm (1830-1988) .Galilee Baptist Church, [1989] 143p . Title on outside cover is: The people of the Covenant. Includes index. This chapel appears to have been in Burton despite the title, see Church Records below.

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1689-99, 1716-1922), Marriages (1689-99, 1716-1837), Banns (1823-1905) and Burials (1689-99, 1716-1895) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies at Pem.RO.

Copy ts PR[extracts] C (1689-1804) M (1695-1808) B (1695-1811) at NLW

Copy ts PR M (1754-1837) at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-67, 1869-73) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105130.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Burton parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

Burton and Rosemarket  -  a community site

Genealogy

Pembrokeshire Families

Phillips, Paul. Captain Hugh Leopold Phillips. Dyfed FHS journal vol 8/7 Dec 2004. The author writes about his uncle who was born in Burton in 1866 and served with the Trinity House Steam Vessel service.

History

Dickman, H.J. Burton Parish, Pembrokeshire, Dyfed, Dyfed County Council, Cultural Services Dept. (1988) 53 p. : ill., 1 map, ports. [ISBN: 0860750310]

Hughes, Basil.       Jottings Pembrokeshire Burton, Freystrop and Llangwn Parishes. [Kindle Edition 2013]

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 24 Aug 2013]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.