"CAMRH‘S, a parish in the hundred of RH‘S county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (N.W. by N.) from Haverfordwest, on the road to St David's, containing 1259 inhabitants, the amount of population having increased nearly one-fourth since the census of 1821. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £6.10. 5., endowed with £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Hugh Webb Bowen, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Ismael. There are two places of worship for Independents. Near the church is a large tumulus, which has never been opened. CamrhŰs House, the seat of Hugh Webb Bowen, Esq., is the only residence within the parish which is entitled to notice. A fair is held here on February 13th. The poor are supported by an average annual expenditure amounting to £402. 15." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 1471282
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back to 1749. PR B includes entries for Cas-lai/Hayscastle from 1977.
Parish registers: Christenings (1795-1934), Marriages (1754-1929) and Burials (1813-1992) are at the National Library of Wales
Mf/Facsimiles C (1795-1982) M (1754-1953) B ( 1813-1992) at Pem.RO at the Pemkrokeshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR[extracts] C (1813-1906) M (1838-96) B (1861-1907) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1804, 1806, 1809-48, 1852-83, 1888-97) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105130.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
"Camros, a small village, containing nothing worthy of remark, excepting a large tumulus. It appears, by this route of the Crusaders, that the ancient road to Menevia, or St David's, led through Camros, whereas the present turnpike road lies a mile and a half to the left of it. It then descends to Niwegal Sands, and passes near the picturesque little harbour of Solvach, situated in a deep and narrow cove, surrounded by high rocks."
The Itinerary Through Wales and The Description of Wales by Giraldus Cambrensis (1188). The text is that of Sir Richard Colt Hoare who published an English translation in 1806, chiefly from the texts of Camden and Wharton . This extract is from the foot-notes in the Everyman's Library edition, (ed. Ernest Rhys) 1908.
Places, villages, farms etc within Camrose parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
The Bowens of Camrose
Camrose Castle - a Castles of Wales site. "Camrose was a small but powerful motte and bailey built in a strong position at the side of a small river where it controlled the ford...."
Richards, W. L. (William Leslie). The proud parish of Camrose . Haverfordwest : Camrose Community Council, 2000. 55 p.
Richards, W.L. The schoolmaster abroad: a history of education in Camrose Parish, [Fairways, 10 Greenfield Close, Cardigan Rd, Haverfordwest], W.L. Richards (1985) 46 p. : ports. ; 22 cm. p.
[Gareth Hicks: 28 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996