GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

CAREW [CAERIW]

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"CAREW, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Pembroke, on the road from Narberth, containing 1020 inhabitants. . . [Carew Castle] ruins are extensive, and may be regarded as among the most interesting and beautiful in the principality . . . From the towers, to the summits of which an ascent is afforded by staircases in a dilapidated condition, an extensive and pleasing prospect is obtained of the haven, on one side, and of the surrounding country on the other, which abounds with interesting scenery, enlivened by numerous seats in the vicinity. . . The parish contains a vast quantity of excellent limestone, which is conveyed in small craft of twelve or fifteen tons' burden to the upper parts of this county and of Cardiganshire. Coal of inferior quality is procured on the north side of the parish, but only for the supply of the immediate neighbourhood. . . . The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a spacious and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture . . .. In the churchyard is an ancient building, apparently coeval with the church, which is occasionally used as a parochial school, the master being appointed by the vicar. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

CAREW, St. Mary   1837-1839       - on the Church plans online site

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1718-1951), Marriages (1718-1971), Banns (1811-1932) and Burials (1718-1966) are at the Pembrokeshire Record Office.

Copy ts PR/BT (1779-1819) at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685-6, 1799-1801, 1803-68, 1870-9, 1884-9, 1896-9, 1901-5) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105132.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Carew parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

See Carew Castle by Castle Wales

Here is the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority site which has material on Carew Castle and Tidal Mill, also Castell Henllys Iron Age Fort

Carew Castle and Tidal Mill site

Directories

Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.

Genealogy

Pembrokeshire Families

Jones, K R        A Family of Farmers and Millers           The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 7 1981        Welsh Journals Online

History

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..

Spurrell, W.G. The history of Carew, Pembrokeshire, Carmarthen, W. Spurrell & son (1921) 135 p.

Lane, H A        The Parish of Carew, 1838          The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 4 1972           Welsh Journals Online

Land and Property

Cole, Richard. Carew Newton and Houghton Farm - A Study in South Pembrokeshire Settlement Patterns. Pp27-52 in Carew Castle Archaeoligical Project 1993 Season Interim Report (ed. by David Austin)

Pike, Jonathan. The Case of Carew versus Phillips. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 5/6 April 1996. Extracts  from Trollope-Bellew papers at Somerset RO, the claims made against the estate of George Carew, by the Philipps family in 1689 and 1709.

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 31 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional