"CASTLEMARTIN (CASTLE-MARTIN), a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 Miles (W.S.W.) from Pembroke, containing 487 inhabitants. This extensive parish forms a kind of promontory on the sea coast, and is bounded on the north by Freshwater West, which runs into St. George's channel, on the east by the adjoining parish of Warren, and on the west and south by the Bristol channel. . . This parish is wholly enclosed, and the land is mostly fertile and in a good state of cultivation . . . The whole of the district abounds with numerous military works and fortifications, thrown up during the frequent contests which took place between the Danish pirates who infested this part of the coast, which, from its exposed and defenceless situation, was much subject to their attacks, and the native Welsh, who resolutely repelled their aggressions: one of these may be seen on a farm in this parish, called Bully Bar. The parish abounds with limestone of excellent quality, in the centre of which is found clay, much used in the manufacture of fire bricks. . . The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure, and has undergone thorough repair within the last ten years, There was anciently a chapel at Flimston, which has long since gone to decay. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Earlier PR reputedly destroyed in a fire at 'old rectory' [NLW survey 1922; cf Angle]
Parish registers: Christenings (1783-1992), Marriages (1783-1810, 1813-1991) Banns (1782-1809, 1824-1993), Burials (1783-1975) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR/BT M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685-6, 1799-1805, 1807, 1809-57, 1859-60, 1864-90) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105134.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Castlemartin parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by John Richards)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Castlemartin hundred. An online extract by Huw Daniel of Hicks name baptisms for the period 1838-1900
Hughes, Basil. More names in the History of South Pembrokeshire - Land Tax Castlemartin Hundred 1791 / 2 ISBN 898687 10 2 The list of all those holding land and the major tenants for the Castlemartin Hundred. Listing is by surname plus also by parish
Lloyd, J. The Lloyds of Plās Cilybebyll: from Leach of Castlemartin, Pembroke and Milford, Cowbridge (Ffynnon Deilo, Pendoylan, Cowbridge, South Glamorgan), R. J. H. Lloyd (1990) 87 p.: ill., geneal. tables, ports.
Thorne, Roland The Leach family of Castlemartin The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 7 1981 Welsh Journals Online
There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..
West Freshwater War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site
Hughes, Basil Jottings Pembrokeshire Castle-Martin Flimston and Warren [Kindle Edition 2013]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Hughes, B.H.J. Land tax Castlemartin hundred 1791/2: more names in the history of South Pembrokeshire, [Great Britain], (1992) 69 p.See also under Genealogy
Social Life and Customs
Jones, Francis. Customs of the manor and lordship of Castlemartin, 1592 . In Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 34 (1987), p. 200-4
Voting Registers for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 0104322
[Gareth Hicks: 31 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996