We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Pigot & Co South Wales 1830

The information  below relating to Kilgerran was extracted  by Pat Powell from the S.O.G  fiche and verified to the CD of the same title published by Archive CD Books.


Is a small and irregularly-built town, in the parish and hundred of its name, and county of Pembroke, four miles south-east from Cardigan; situated on the south bank of the river Tivie, at the foot of a steep hill.

This little place was once celebrated for its magnificent castle, the ruins of which occupy a rocky promontory, rising almost perpendicularly from the bed of the river, and forms an interesting and picturesque object from many points of the neighbourhood.

Many of the inhabitants obtain their subsistence from the salmon fishery, for which purpose the coracle, a kind of portable boat, is in general use, almost every cottage door being furnished with this indispensable requisite, which is carried on the backs of the men or women to the water's edge.

Slates of a good quality are obtained in the vicinity of the town: and every burgess having by charter an undisputed right to open a quarry, many cargoes are annually exported from the contiguous port of Cardigan.

The manufacture of strong shoes is carried out here to some extent, and employs many hands.

The town is governed by a portrieve, who is lord of the manor for the time being, and holds a court leet twice a year.

The church, which presents nothing in outward shew to command attention, contains some ancient monuments, and a few well-executed ones of modern date: the living is a vicarage in the gift of the Crown; the present incumbent is the Rev. David Jones. A chapel each for baptist and Wesleyan methodists are the other places of worship in the parish. No market is now held: but the fairs (large ones for horses, cattle, sheep and pigs) take place 21st August and 12th November.

The parish contained, in 1821, 862 inhabitants.

POST - Letters for all parts are forwarded to and received from Cardigan, daily.


  • Bowen John, slate merchant
  • Davies David, shoemaker
  • Davies Howell, hatter
  • Edwards Edward, shoemaker
  • Edwards Thomas, slate merchant
  • Evans John, carpenter
  • Evans Maria, corn miller
  • Evans Owen, shopkeeper
  • Griffith Moses, slate merchant
  • Griffiths John, slate merchant
  • Jenkins John, tailor
  • Jenkins Richard, carpenter
  • Johns James, tailor
  • Johns Richard, shoemaker
  • Johns William, shoemaker
  • Jones John, shoemaker
  • Jones Thomas, tanner
  • Matthews Daniel, stone mason
  • Morgan Thomas, slate merchant
  • Morris David, cooper
  • Morris John, master of the Welch charity school
  • Morris John, shoemaker
  • Morris Thomas, shoemaker
  • Nicholas Thomas, schoolmaster
  • Owens John, victualler, Red Lion
  • Owens Nathaniel, stone mason
  • Peters David, shoemaker
  • Phillips Daniel, cooper
  • Phillips William, shoemaker
  • Phillips William, blacksmith
  • Rees Thomas, stone mason
  • Thomas David, shoemaker
  • Thomas David, blacksmith
  • Thomas John, shoemaker
  • Thomas Thomas, shoemaker
  • Williams Benjamin, carpenter
  • Williams Daniel, stone mason
  • Williams David, carpenter
  • Williams John, stone mason