We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Pigot & Co South Wales 1844

The information  below relating to Kilgerran was extracted  by Denise Robinson from the CD of the same title published by Archive CD Books.


Is a small and irregularly built town, in the parish and hundred of its name, county of Pembroke; 3 ½ miles S.E. from Cardigan, and 9 W. by N. from Newcastle-in-Emlyn; situated on the south bank of the river Tivie. This little place was once celebrated for its magnificent castle, the ruins of which occupy a rocky promontory, rising almost perpendicularly from the bed of the river, forming an interesting and picturesque object from many points of the neighbourhood. The town is governed by a portrieve, who is lord of the manor for the time being. And holds a court leet twice a year. Many of the inhabitants obtain their subsistence from the salmon fishery, for which purpose the coracle, a kind of portable boat, is in general use - almost every cottage door being furnished with this indispensable requisite, which is carried on the backs of the men or women to the water's edge. Slates of good quality are obtained in the vicinity of the town; and every burgess having by charter an undisputed right to open a quarry, many cargoes are annually exported from the contiguous port of Cardigan. The manufacture of strong shoes is also a branch which employs many hands.

The Church, which presents nothing in outward shew to command attention, contains some ancient monuments, and a few well-extracted ones of modern date: the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the crown. A chapel each for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists are the other places of worship in the parish. No market is now observed; but the fairs (large ones for horses, cattle, sheep and pigs) are held on the 21st of August and 13th of November. The parish contained, in 1831, 879 inhabitants; and in 1841, 1,149.

POST. - Letters arrive from and are despatched to Cardigan daily.


  • Colby Mrs.-, Rhosegilwan
  • Evans Rev.-, Kilgerran
  • Gower Abel Lewis, Esq. Castle Malgwyn
  • Gower Rev. George, Kilgerran
  • Owens Rev. James, Llechryd
  • Phillips Major John, Panalltrihney
  • Thomas John, Esq. Paneraig


  • Black Lion, Thomas Thomas
  • Drovers' Arms William Nicholas
  • Panalltrihney Arms, Wm.Thomas
  • Red Lion, Mary Davies
  • Tivie Side Louisa Michall
  • White Hart, John Bowen


  • Bowen J.
  • Bowen John
  • Evans William
  • Griffiths John
  • Griffiths Moses
  • John Lewis & Thomas
  • Matthews James
  • Morgan Thomas
  • Stephens James
  • Stephens William


  • Bowen John, Shoe maker
  • Bowen Thomas, Maltster
  • Davies Mary, Maltster
  • Davies Titus, Shoe maker
  • Davies William, Stone mason
  • Edwards John, Land surveyor
  • Evans Ann, Baker
  • Evans Benjamin, Carpenter
  • Evans Benjamin, Shopkeeper
  • Evans Griffith, Stone mason
  • Evans James, Carpenter
  • Evans James, Stone mason
  • Evans John, Carpenter
  • Evans John, Miller
  • Evans Owen, Shopkeeper
  • Greenbridge William, Shopkeeper
  • Jenkins John, Tailor
  • Jenkins John, Carpenter
  • Jenkins Joseph, Weaver
  • Jenkins Thomas, Tailor
  • John John, Shoe maker
  • John Richard, Shoe maker
  • John William, Shoe maker
  • Jones John, Tanner
  • Morgan John, Stone mason
  • Morris Abraham, Agent to Abel Lewis Gower, Esq.
  • Morris Jonah, Butcher
  • Morris William, Butcher
  • Owen Benjamin, Shopkeeper
  • Owen Daniel, Stone mason
  • Owen Thomas, Weaver
  • Peters David, Shoe maker
  • Phillips David, Blacksmith
  • Rees Thomas, Shoe maker
  • Richards David, Schoolmaster
  • Thomas David, Blacksmith
  • Thomas David, Shoe maker
  • Thomas James, Tailor
  • Thomas Samuel, Cooper
  • Thomas Thomas, Shoe maker
  • Thomas Thomas, Cooper
  • Thomas William, Cooper
  • Williams Benjamin, Carpenter
  • Williams David, Carpenter
  • Williams Janet, Maltster