The information below relating to Kilgerran was extracted by Denise Robinson from the CD of the same title published by Archive CD Books.
Is a small and irregularly built town, in the parish and hundred of its name, county of Pembroke; 3 ½ miles S.E. from Cardigan, and 9 W. by N. from Newcastle-in-Emlyn; situated on the south bank of the river Tivie. This little place was once celebrated for its magnificent castle, the ruins of which occupy a rocky promontory, rising almost perpendicularly from the bed of the river, forming an interesting and picturesque object from many points of the neighbourhood. The town is governed by a portrieve, who is lord of the manor for the time being. And holds a court leet twice a year. Many of the inhabitants obtain their subsistence from the salmon fishery, for which purpose the coracle, a kind of portable boat, is in general use - almost every cottage door being furnished with this indispensable requisite, which is carried on the backs of the men or women to the water's edge. Slates of good quality are obtained in the vicinity of the town; and every burgess having by charter an undisputed right to open a quarry, many cargoes are annually exported from the contiguous port of Cardigan. The manufacture of strong shoes is also a branch which employs many hands.
The Church, which presents nothing in outward shew to command attention, contains some ancient monuments, and a few well-extracted ones of modern date: the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the crown. A chapel each for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists are the other places of worship in the parish. No market is now observed; but the fairs (large ones for horses, cattle, sheep and pigs) are held on the 21st of August and 13th of November. The parish contained, in 1831, 879 inhabitants; and in 1841, 1,149.
POST. - Letters arrive from and are despatched to Cardigan daily.
GENTRY AND CLERGY
SHOPKEEPERS & TRADERS
Return to top of page
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996